Marimo Moss Balls; Can They Release Toxins Too?

• Thread starter madelyn anne
  • Start date

madelyn anne

Hello!

So, I've heard a lot of different things about Marimo Moss Balls. I love them, and have 3 of them. (Used to be 4, but sadly, I accidentally sucked one up into my gravel vacuum...RIP, moss ball.)

My moss balls have been around for a long time and have been exposed to multiple fish diseases, and I found one of my beloved GBR's dead lodged next to one last week.

I know they absorb toxins in your water, but can those toxins be released to healthy fish after that?
Are my moss balls safe to use still?

They are in QT just in case. I didn't want to take the chance of making my fish sick!

xx

Thanks!

xx

Greg F

Well Known
That is a great question I never considered. Love the moss ball and have never had an issue but I will be interested to hear opinions.

madelyn anne

Yeah, me too! Come on people, give me some answers! lol!

Greg F

Well Known
Ok after some research it seems as though folks who sterilize their plants after an illness usually do so by soaking for 5 minutes in a saltwater mix ( 2 tsp aquarium salt in a gallon of dechlorinated tank temp water) followed by a good rinse. Sounds reasonable to me althougj I would want to squeeze out the moss balls first.

Top Bottom