Marimo Moss Ball - Use

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Anji13, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Anji13Valued MemberMember

Hello,

I have guppies and person from Petsmart once told me that these Moss balls survive on Guppy waste. Is it true? Can this waste be reduced using Moss Balls

2. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Any plant will use some of the nutrients from fish waste, however Marimo Moss Balls (actually a form of algae) wont use a whole lot. The main benefit with them is they help grow micro-organisms for invertebrates to eat,and they may slightly help reduce algae as theyll outcompete it for some nutrients,

3. Anji13Valued MemberMember

are there any other uses? I dont have any live plant in my tank. should i keep moss ball?

4. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

It won't hurt anything, and it will help albeit not much but any live plant is better than none at all. You could also add some Java Fern, Water Sprite, and Anubias, these are all easy low light plants, and they all did well for me, I had guppies in my 10g for a while and the water sprite grew super fast without any fertilizers, just guppy waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Anji13Valued MemberMember

Thanks. I will add it as well. :)

6. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

You could also consider anacharis. It really absorbs nitrates and a lot. I have a fairly large population of anacharis in my 36 gallon tank and my nitrates grow REALLY slow. And I mean really slow. I usually change my water every 10-14 days or so but from a nitrate perspective I could go even longer. I attribute this to the anacharis.

7. aquaman86Valued MemberMember

Marimo moss are good but they are a very slow grower

8. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

9. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Love my marimo moss balls. Kind of like soft green fuzzy pets. Thanks for the links, Aquarist. Good reading as usual. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice