Marimo moss ball questions?

lou8822

hI iv just come across some marimo balls on ebay? The look of them intrested me abit and I am going to purchase some. are these good plants to av in the aquarium? thanks

Kopeth

True Marimo Balls are easy to take care of and don't require a lot of care. Just make sure you squeeze them on occasion to get debris out of them. Also, rotating them every so often keeps them circular and healthy.

catsma_97504

Marimo balls need the movement to keep them healthy and round. While they are basically balls of algae, they make nice additions to a moderate or high light tank. They don't seem to do all that well in low light ime.

ppate1977

I cut a Marimo ball open and laid it flat like grass. Had to put a bit of gravel on it to hold it down.

J.M.S.

I have two Marimo Balls, one in each of my tanks. My 10 gallon has moderate lighting and the Ball is bright green and wonderfully round. My 29 gallon has low light and the Ball is a little washed out... so I definitely suggest moderate to high lighting if you want to keep them. Just squeeze them out over the bucket of dirty water every time you do a water change. Also, don't be surprised if sometimes they are on the bottom of the tank and other times they are floating at the top.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I really like the Marimo Balls and I think they are a nice addition to the aquarium. My Bloody Parrots (juveniles) picked mine to pieces and ate them! It was fun to watch them attack the ball and rip off a piece to eat.

A bit too pricey $10 each to uses as fish food though.

Ken

J.M.S.

A bit to pricey $10 each to uses as fish food though.
Ken

Where did you go that they were $10 a piece? The store closest to me (5 min drive) has them for $7.99 and the long drive (25 min) has them for $4.99.

Aquarist

My local PetCo has them for $10 each.

Ken

lou8822

well ther pretty cheap on ebay think they wer 5 for £5 here so I definitely wanna try these see how they look. If my fish don't eat them first lol

catsma_97504

That's cheap. I only have one 'cuz they were $12.95.

angelou

they're 7 at my petsmart.

I love the look of them

Mass

yeah we just got 10 for 10 pounds off ebay, they are doing well, the betta wasn't sure what to make of them though

xLaetizia

I have one in each of my 3 betta tanks. I actually found them at my local Petsmart store. They are very hardy and easy to care for. As others are saying, you ought to clean them and rotate them from time to time. I also feed them a bit with API Leaf Zone by putting together in a bucket for a few days with the treatment. I am certain they aid in keeping my betta's water cleaner for longer!

pcfiegen

HI all,

I recently purchased a Marimo Moss Ball from Petsmart because I heard they can be quite beneficial for your tank. Anybody have any advice on how to introduce them into the tank? Any information on them at all would be great! Thanks!

Pat

CatfishJack

Re: Marimo Moss Ball

Pretty sure you can just drop it in!

Butterfly

If I were you I'd rinse it in some tank water from the tank it's going into to keep from introducing any of Petsmarts water into your tank. After that just drop it in where you want it to be
Carol

Magoo

Marimo Moss Ball

As Carol has said I would take out a little tank water in a bowl drop in the marimo and give it a few squeezes then keep it squeezed don't worry it will fluff up again just be gentle and as you are putting it into your tank again give it a couple of gentle squeezes to get the air out and it should either sink straight away or not float for as long

Aquarist

See post #18 in the link above.

Ken

pcfiegen

Thanks!!
Does propagating mean cutting them up??

Orion5

Yep-- propagating means cutting them up. They can propagate themselves (they grow a little ball of moss outside the main mass) but I don't know if anyone has ever witnessed this in the home aquarium. Maybe they could chime in if they have.

LOVE marimo balls. I have about 30 of them.

Butterfly

I'm really paranoid about putting water in my tanks from any LFS so I rinse all my plants before putting into my tanks
carol

APColorado

Yep-- propagating means cutting them up. They can propagate themselves (they grow a little ball of moss outside the main mass) but I don't know if anyone has ever witnessed this in the home aquarium. Maybe they could chime in if they have.

LOVE marimo balls. I have about 30 of them.

Actually I have witnessed it in my tank. There are several ways they propagate on their own. One is what Orion has mentioned which I've witnessed and another is that Marimo will grow big and oval shape and split into two separate pieces.

escapay

I know some PetSmart stores have the Marimo Moss Balls in cups like bettas -- I would still rinse it out like mentioned. My store personally adds treated tapwater... I don't like adding water from our systems to their cups. Not sure of the policy, if there is one, but some stores might add water from their systems.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I have 40 Marimo's in my hang on back (hob) refugiums and I've seen a few tiny fluffs of moss here and there. Will they turn into a marimo? We'll see . I hope they do!

Ken

gypsy32

Hi, I have just purchased 4 Marimo moss balls for my tropical tank, this is the first time I have ever had them, I have lots of other live plants in the tank so I thought I'd add a few of these balls because they are very cute.

My question is How do I look after them? I have tried googling them but didn't find anything very helpful,
Do I need to do anything to them? I have one large one about 7cm, one medium one about 4cm & 2 small ones about 1cm each.
They arrived in the mail, then I put them in a plastic container & let them soak for a few hours changing the water a few times then I popped them in my tank,

They were pretty expensive compared to other live plants so I really don't want them to die.

Also will they grow any bigger?

Thanks for any into, it will be appreciated.

Bluestreakfl

They are fairly slow growing. Although they are technically an Algae, they'll outcompete other bad algae for nutrients. As far as maintenance goes, you basically just take them out of the tank every few weeks, squeeze em gently, and rinse them in some treated or tank water. Put em back in, squeeze out the air, and let me sink back in. I've found they are good at catching fine particles of debris, and food. My shrimp love them.

thefishdude277

They can grow baby Marimos too!

-fishdude

aliray

I have 11 of them divided between three 10 gal tanks. I roll them over once a week with the end of the net, so that every side gets exposed to light. Just move them a little one way or the other and the purpose is so that you don't get a dead spot on the bottom. When I do a water change, I put them in some treated clean water and give them a couple of swishes and a gentle squish, then role in my hands gently like rolling a meatball, then back in the tank. If they float don't worry they will fill back up and sink. They grow very slowly in the aquarium, they don't need any additional plant food. They stay a lovely shade of green. To propagate them you would divide one into smaller pieces than ,wait for them to grow. I would only do that if one came apart which should not happen in you are gentle with them. I love mine and find them facinating. Alison

gypsy32

I agree that they are fascinating, I heard them mentioned on here so I went on eBay to buy some, there is just something about them,

I have lots of other live plants in the tank that I don't fertilise, so its good to know that I don't need to add any fert to these as well,

so I can divide them & here I was thinking when I read the above post from the Fishdude277 that I would have to get a male & a female ball & place them close together so they can have babies...lol
It sounds like that movie from the 80's called "Gremlins" where you put this little creature in water & they start shooting little baby balls out of it's back, kind of creepy though, so I am glad that isn't how they multiply...lol

They are really beautiful green colour, so I will follow your advice to keep them healthy,
Thanks for the info.

thefishdude277

There is no such thing as male and female moss balls lol. The moss ball will grow clumps on itself an then separate making "babies"

-fishdude

aliray

You are very welcome. Alison

Anders247

They are really easy to keep.... nothing special at all. They grow really slowly, too.

Lucy

Jetajockey made a video here:

aliray

Just watched it . thanks for the link. He did a good job. Thanks for the link....Alison

gypsy32

Thanks Lucy I just watched the video , I wasn't aware of the "fake" moss balls, I went & checked mine & luckily they are exactly the same as his, I pulled it apart a little just to be sure, its good to know that I don't have to buy anymore I can just pull bits off, Marino moss balls are on average about $25 each here in Australia so not exactly cheap.

I also watched the video below it on propagating plants, I have wondered how to do this without killing the main plant so now I know how so thank you very much,

I didn't know that there was videos on here, I have seen pictures that people have posted with their posts but no videos, so I will have a scrounge around the site & see if I can find some more that will help me on my way with my aquarium, I usually just click on the 'freshwater for beginners' section so I will look around a bit more,

Thank you for all your help,

Tricia.

2Dogs

I noticed these at PetSmart after reading this thread - does anyone have a recommended source for these?

Anders247

I get them from petco, they were good quality.

Bluestreakfl

The ones I saw at pet smart didn't look very dense, almost fake, not sure though. I got mine from a family owned local store and mine are nice and thick, dense, round.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1424628388.176288.jpg

thefishdude277

Marimos aren't really plants, they are algae.
They grow in fast moving streams where a piece of algae gets moved around and around continuesly, forming a ball.

-fishdude

AshlynBaird123

My Marimo moss ball finally came today & I really like how it looks in the tank! I'm going to be ordering more live plants, any suggestions on easy ones for a beginner? I've heard of Java moss, Java fern, and anubias. Any preferences or other suggestions?
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451687122.540946.jpg
The snail had to check it out of course.

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

clk89

I'm enjoying my cypt and bacopa. Both are growing fine in my low light tank. I've heard good things about banana plant too, though I'm unsure what kind of light it needs.

AshlynBaird123

I'm enjoying my cypt and bacopa. Both are growing fine in my low light tank. I've heard good things about banana plant too, though I'm unsure what kind of light it needs.

My LFS has banana plants (the ONLY kind of live plants they have...) so I'd be interested in finding out their needs! Saves me a 40 min drive to PetSmart to have more variety lol

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

Bithimala

Once your snail gets bigger, he may start moving it around to redecorate I know mine has.

From what you listed above, my personal preference is anubias. The java ferns are fascinating to watch grow, but I'm not as much a fan of their appearance with the roots at every part of the plant while it propagates.

AshlynBaird123

Once your snail gets bigger, he may start moving it around to redecorate I know mine has.

From what you listed above, my personal preference is anubias. The java ferns are fascinating to watch grow, but I'm not as much a fan of their appearance with the roots at every part of the plant while it propagates.

That's what I've heard! Haha I wouldn't even mind, I'd be more entertained than anything if they started doing that
And thank you!! That is really good insight I was looking for. Personal experiences make it so much easier to differentiate and make decisions! I think I'd like some Java moss to tie into my ornament and then I'll look into getting some anubias. Do you have to tie it to something or will it attach on its own? My problem is that I don't have much that I'd want to tie the anubias onto right now, I'd rather get it started in the background of my tank to replace the fake plants I have. Here's a better picture
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451688808.095216.jpg

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

Have a read of this article: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-set-up-a-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.24/
Make sure to do so on the computer as it doesn't work on the phone.

I'll have to read it the next time I'm at a computer, thank you.

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

Anders247

You're welcome!

Bithimala

It'll attach in time, but I've tied mine onto rocks so that I can easily move them around if/when I want to. I'll go get some pics for you.

AshlynBaird123

It'll attach in time, but I've tied mine onto rocks so that I can easily move them around if/when I want to. I'll go get some pics for you.

I only have gravel in my aquarium right now so what kind of rocks would you suggest? Are the rocks visible or do the plants hide them? Well I guess I can just wait til you post pictures. Thank you everyone for the help, I am so excited to add live plants but it's also really overwhelming! So I really appreciate it.

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

Bithimala

All of the rocks are visible. I just used large river rocks and fishing line.

Java ferns. You can see the roots hanging off really clearly.

Annubias

The fishing line isn't really as visible as it is in the pics, since it's not so close up

AshlynBaird123

Awesome, thank you! I think I'm going to go with anubias.

AshlynBaird123
My Tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JacobPh8m
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
Agua86