Marimo Moss Ball Covered In Bba

Windwolf55x5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been battling black beard algae in my tank for quite some time now. I just striped all the java moss from my tank since it was effected the most.

I’ve been treating with excel and am tempted to spay all the plants with it but I’m afraid I’ll hurt my shrimp.

I’m also tempted to spray my moss balls which are covered in the stuff as well but i’m Pretty sure that will kill them.

Does anyone know how I can get this off my moss balls? I’ve tried picking it off but it’s imbedded in there and I can’t get all of it.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe trim it off? If not, hydrogen peroxide should work quite well, just go easy on it - better doing multiple smaller doses than multiple larger ones - as it can kill the marimo since its also an algae.

Maybe a week in the dark could help?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
American Flag fish like to eat BBA.
It's not really recommended to suggest a new inhabitant for a tank just to clear up a problem, especially if that inhabitant is incompatible with the current stocking. I do like flagfish though, very nice looking.
OP I assume this is your 5 gallon? Also, as stated, you are correct in assuming that most everything that kills algae will kill the marimos, as they are technically a type of algae as well. I agree with aussie, I think one or more of those options are your best bet. Good luck, bba is a nasty thing to deal with.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm...well since it Is a moss ball, not sure if a hydrogen peroxide solution, or even the bleach dip method could work...

Yeah but if she has other plants in the tank, no light for a week can be really really hard on the plants. And yes, the Flagfish CAN be aggressive as well! What does everyone think of the bleach dip method? I've tried it before, and it works wonders every time, but...just never owned any moss balls and not sure if bleaching them would work...

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
Yeah but if she has other plants in the tank, no light for a week can be really really hard on the plants. And yes, the Flagfish CAN be aggressive as well! What does everyone think of the bleach dip method? I've tried it before, and it works wonders every time, but...just never owned any moss balls and not sure if bleaching them would work...
Bleaching is a lot more harder on plants than H2O2 is. If your going to use either, H2O2 is definently a lot more forgiving IMO.

No light for a week isnt going to kill the ball, nor will it completely kill the BBA - probably. But it will help get rid of a vast majority IMO. Dark outs is one of the better all rounder solutions, since all algae's are photosynthetic and dont have nutrient stores like aquarium plants. The overall size of the marimo though may help keep it living - that and its a low light 'plant' - so it should be fine with a week blackout.

Edit: if needed, amano shrimp could help.... if compatible with your stock, they might be helpful in cutting down algae.

Windwolf55x5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aussieJJDude said:
Maybe trim it off? If not, hydrogen peroxide should work quite well, just go easy on it - better doing multiple smaller doses than multiple larger ones - as it can kill the marimo since its also an algae.

Maybe a week in the dark could help?
I tried scraping it off with a toothbrush. It seemed to get most of it off but i’m sure there’s still some on there. I have them in a cup right now may i’ll try putting them in the dark.

SFGiantsGuy said:
American Flag fish like to eat BBA.
It’s a nice fish but it seems way to aggressive for my tank. It’ll probably eat all my shrimp and their babies. And it’s not really compatible with my temps.

aussieJJDude said:
Bleaching is a lot more harder on plants than H2O2 is. If your going to use either, H2O2 is definently a lot more forgiving IMO.

No light for a week isnt going to kill the ball, nor will it completely kill the BBA - probably. But it will help get rid of a vast majority IMO. Dark outs is one of the better all rounder solutions, since all algae's are photosynthetic and dont have nutrient stores like aquarium plants. The overall size of the marimo though may help keep it living - that and its a low light 'plant' - so it should be fine with a week blackout.

Edit: if needed, amano shrimp could help.... if compatible with your stock, they might be helpful in cutting down algae.
I’m tempted to try H2O2 but won’t it have the same effect excel does. I’m going to try putting them in the dark but I get the feeling once I put it back in the tank it’ll just grow back.

This stuff is so frustrating I don’t think i’ll ever be able to completely remove it. It’s just everywhere, all in the plants roots. I have amano shrimp and cherrry shrimp but they don’t really eat the bba.
So far they only way i’ve been able to keep this stuff under some control is to do frequent water changes, which I don’t always have time for. I’ve also been treating with excel every day. And the product Nualgi has helped a little bit I think.

I wonder if adding more plants to my tank with help, or will it just give more places for the bba to cling on to. I really want some carpet plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom