Marimo Moss Ball Advice

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm readying my tank for some new additions - as of right now I'm leaning towards getting 3 amano shrimp and a mystery snail, depending on what my targeted pet store has - but I read that amano shrimp really like moss balls! I have some moss balls that were in my old fish tank that I've wanted to put back in with my cories for awhile, but my last tank had a really bad infestation problem... lots of amphipods and some sort of thin worm-like bug(??) from my months of inexperience. I didn't transfer anything from the old tank to the new one to make the chance of bringing any of these guys a possibility, but I didn't want to throw out my moss balls. I've quarantined them in a jar for around 2.5 months just in case they had any bugs in them. I haven't seen any icky activity since and I would like to put them back in a tank, but are there any extra precautions I should take before reintroducing them to an aquarium?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, shrimp enjoy sitting on moss balls, and picking food from them
Normally there aren't many problems with healthy or sickened moss balls, I would give them a light bleach dip if you are worried about bugs.
I always buy mine from the cups, and just rinse in tank water, then plop them right in

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Yes, shrimp enjoy sitting on moss balls, and picking food from them
Normally there aren't many problems with healthy or sickened moss balls, I would give them a light bleach dip if you are worried about bugs.
I always buy mine from the cups, and just rinse in tank water, then plop them right in
Yea I originally bought one moss ball from petsmart, and it was in the tank but the employee put it in a cup for me! I've separated it into several little balls but I only want to put in the three biggest ones
That's good to hear tho, I haven't seen anything worth being anxious over so I'll just rinse them off and put them in )

lizcateyes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreeing with Fanatic, if you've had your moss balls quarantined for about 2.5 months, and haven't seen anything strange, they are likely ok to go into a tank again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom