Marimo flattened?

1. Steve106 Member Member

Hi guys (and girls),

I was looking at some marimo balls in my lfs and was wondering if I could cut them open and spread them out? I was thinking they may look good covering some slate i have in my tank, emulating a carpeting affect. I Couldn't find any info of them being used this way so I wanted to ask around before buying and ruining any.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I just bought one the other day, and the girl said that i could break it into pieces and it would grow out from there. The difficulty would be anchoring them.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Once you break it up though it starts "shedding" and it gets all over your filters in little pieces... at least that is what happened to me.:;sh

4. Steve106 Member Member

Will it grow back into balls though? I was hoping to just lay a carpet, so to speak.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

No, she said that it will no longer grow in a spherical shape.

6. Steve106 Member Member

O man, sounds like a mess, thanks for the heads up Bonsai Girl.

Btw love the name, my brother got me a bonsai for my birthday last year and im starting to get into the hobby :)

7. Steve106 Member Member

O cool, thanks for the input Jaysee! Good luck with yours. Sounds like something for me to think about now.

If anyone has tried this carpet idea, i'd love to hear how (and if) it worked out for you.

8. cletus Member Member

I read about people doing that a while back. I can't remember where though. Might have been on the Planted Tank forum. It had pictures. Just google it. You should find something.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Haha thanks. It's a win-win. If it dies, then I get to go back to the store to give Brittany a hard time and ask her to help me figure out what went wrong after she's done work ;)

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

From my research into these things, they can be cut open and anchored to objects to make a "mat". However, it takes a very long time for them to attach. (Several months at least, I think?) They can also be broken up to make new marimo balls, but they have to be kept constantly tumbling by current to form a ball.