Marimo ball care outside of an aquarium

Bamboothebetta

I have 3 marimo balls in my aquarium that I want to remove because they are browning (I don’t think they like the bright plant lights). I’m also wanting to start adding flourish excel to my tank for my plants/algae control and read that it will kill them. I am wondering what do I do with them outside an aquarium? How large of a container do they need? Can I put them in those tiny decorative fishbowls or a vase or something? How often to change the water? Do I add any fertilizers in the absence of fish/shrimps? Also any advice to help with the browning would be awesome too!

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Yeah a fishbowl would work or even a fancy jar. Just make sure that they are being regularly rolled. They can turn brown from staying in one spot too long as well.

ghostdawg

Well Known
Ghelfaire said:
Yeah a fishbowl would work or even a fancy jar. Just make sure that they are being regularly rolled. They can turn brown from staying in one spot too long as well.
I recently got some balls in my 20g long. Do you need to roll them around daily or when I do a WC weekly? How does it work exactly? My fish doesn't seem to move them around.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
ghostdawg said:
I recently got some balls in my 20g long. Do you need to roll them around daily or when I do a WC weekly? How does it work exactly? My fish doesn't seem to move them around.
Just make sure you move them around once in awhile. Maybe every other water change? Make sure you squeeze them out in old tank water (not in the tank) to get the stale stuff out of the center too once in awhile. Could do it at the same time? Maybe someone else will say to move them more.... but daily is unnecessary. ;)

Bamboothebetta

I have always moved and squished them during weekly water changes. I’ve had them about 2.5 years and they were fine for about a year and have just gone downhill since then.

Have any of you heard of adding a pinch of sea salt to the water to help them grow better? If they’ll be in their own tank without fish, I definitely could add salt to it!

Bamboothebetta

ghostdawg said:
After reading this thread, I searched and found this article. It may be of help!

i read the article and tried cleaning them. I even gently picked at the surface. Still brown. I moved them to their new home today. Cold water, not nearly as bright of a light (possibly not even a plant light?) and I added a little pinch of salt. Hopefully they recover. I’m not sure how long it’ll be to see if any progress is being made or not tho. They look pretty bad and I read they grow slowly.

Attachments

Top Bottom