Mardi Gras Celebrators

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any Mardi Gras celbrators on the forum other than myself? Mardi Gras is a week from this coming Tuesday and next weekend will be time for Mardi Gras parades. Most of the radio stations here ahve been playing Mardi Gras music for a week+ now.

For those who don't know what Mardi Gras is:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras

It's the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Last day of partying and eating for those that follow Lent of the Catholic Religion. It's also means Fat Tuesday in French.

jsalemi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the pleasure(?) of being in New Orleans for Mardi Gras (too many amateur drinkers there then ), but we've been there both before and after, and have seen the results -- especially all the throws hanging from the trees, balconies, power and phone wires, etc, etc.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have not been to a New Orleanse celebration in my 27 years of existance. Personally, see no need to go. Like you mention, to many amature drinkers and I'm not found of loud drunks.

We really like to go to the parade in Houma,LA on Sunday. They have (3) Krewes that run in one LONNNNNNNG parade. It's nothing to come home with bags upond bags of throws. Beads, stuffed animals, underwear, toys, cakes, etc are all part of throws.

We also sometimes hit the parade in Lafayette, LA which is on a Friday night. That one depends when we leave to go camping If we leave Friday, we hit a parade Friday night in Morgan City, LA. Then a parade on Saturday at Bayou Vist, LA and then the Houma, LA parade on Sunday.

Tuesday there is a parade that runs right in front my house, but we don't have the day off. I always end up missing it. It's a small parade for the community where I live.

neverendingninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
We usually stay right here in Fairhope, AL and enjoy it. I didn't go for years, but now that I have a kid, I have to take him out. I don't really enjoy the crowd mardi gras draws out, and its too bad because I'd love to go over to Mobile, where it all started(thanks to my relatives ), and see a few long parades.

The ones in Fairhope really only take about 20 minutes from start to finish, but thats good for the kids, I guess.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So you have ancestors back to Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville and Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville?

Those two brothers are who started the whole thing when they were sent by King Louis XIV to defend France's claims on the terriroty of Louisianne.

History is so great, especially when it dates back to ancestors.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a trip. Spent my first Mardi Gras weekend in New Orleans. I must say, if your in the right place, it's very enjoyable. We stayed in what is called uptown and caught most of the parades there. I would take children there in a heartbeat. Very good crowd and lots of kids running around already. We were on St. Charles Ave. and a block from Jackson Ave.

Here's a list of the parades we seen:

Iris
Tucks
Thoth
Mid-City
Endymion
Boxcow
Babylon
Okeanos

Narcicius

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
O yeah mardi gras totally going to new orleans to enjoi some high quality company

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can't say that I've taken part in such a festival.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My mom would kill me!

Narcicius

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My mom would probably kill me too if she only knew.

neverendingninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm related to d'Iberville and Bienville. My family used to own so much land in this area its ridiculous...and sad, because they pilfered it away and we're left with nothing.

edit; said = sad

Narcicius

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That kinda suxx

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom