Marbling Gene In Bettas

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can anyone explain the marbling gene some bettas have? I have read that bettas also change color as they mature, but this is different than the marbling gene. My dude Banshee completely changed colors when i bought him home, and he seems to still be shifting around. It is very interesting.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In the best that I could put it, marbled bettas have transposons which puts itself in genes to tell them to turn off or on and then they can later jump to another gene to do the same thing.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The reason he changed color is because when at the pet store they are often stressed from seeing other bettas and from being kept in a tiny cup, suffering from high parameters and cold. When you bring him home in a bigger tank that is filtered and heated they tend to perk up

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought that may have been it, but he went from pure white to dark blue. He looks like a completely different fish. I would expect a fish’s color to brighten up a little bit when moved to good conditions, but i would never have guessed he could change that much.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom