Marbled Koi Betta Color Change - And - 20 Gallon Progress

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! After coming home from a nearly 2 month long trip, during while little maintenance was done on either of my tanks, doing some large water changes, and introducing some new fish, I went through the photos I had collected of my tanks over the past two years and two months. Although I still am not fully satisfied with either of my tanks(as I assume many people on this forum aren't, many of us keep fish for the purpose of having a long-term project to work on), I realized the progress I have made is pretty tremendous. So I decided to share that progress here, in a brief forum post.

It's pretty amazing seeing the difference in color one year later for a marbled betta, especially one that came home from the store (unknowingly) sick.

June 2018 - just finished ick treatment
IMG_1768.JPG

August 2019
IMG_3083.JPG

His tank changed a lot too.

June 2018
IMG_1692.JPG

August 2019
IMG_3120.JPG

I got a trio of german blue rams for my 20 gallon, two of them have already paired up so I might return or re-home the third wheel soon. They are way more colorful than I thought was possible for freshwater fish, they almost look like something out of a salt water tank.
IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

And finally, progress over time for my 20 gallon. RIP my pearl gourami, who died two years after I initially got her in June 2017.

July 2017 (a month after setup)
IMG_1009.JPG

June 2018 (A year after setup)
IMG_1756.JPG

August 2019 (two years and two months after setup)
IMG_E3090.JPG

Last edited:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! Great changes, all of it! Makes me want to go out and buy bland bettas and see what they change into! Although I have a baby betta that I rescued who doesn't have much coloring, so I'm early anticipating what he'll end up looking like. One of my favorite things is seeing what fish develop into, such as bettas or my livebearer fry.

The betta's head, fin, and tail shapes look different, too. Are you sure someone didn't switch them? xD

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! Great changes, all of it! Makes me want to go out and buy bland bettas and see what they change into! Although I have a baby betta that I rescued who doesn't have much coloring, so I'm early anticipating what he'll end up looking like. One of my favorite things is seeing what fish develop into, such as bettas or my livebearer fry.

The betta's head, fin, and tail shapes look different, too. Are you sure someone didn't switch them? xD
Yes, I'm sure it's the same betta, lol. I was gone two months so he's been a little underfed, and his fins have torn and regrown a couple of times.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom