Marbled crayfish questions

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
I recently was given a marbled crayfish for free from Petsmart. I moved it from the 1 gallon bowl they had it in to a 30 gallon long that was already established. In my experience crayfish usually molt every few months. Why has she molted 3 times in the 3 weeks I've had her???? tank parameters are 7.5 pH, 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrites, and 5 ppm Nitrates. Temp is 79 F. She is stocked with 6 mollies. Why is she growing so fast? I feed her omega one shrimp and lobster pellets, fresh produce, she also gets frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, and whatever flake food the mollies don't eat. She is constantly scrounging around for food.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
No experience with crayfish but sounds like it is doing great in your tank. I would keep doing what your doing and if you could post a pic that would b appreciated

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
she is backed into her little corner she likes. Pay no attention to the filter media bag hanging there. I didnt want any potential babies to get sucked up into the intake

Attachments

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reactions
I've heard marbled crays are more active/hungry and grow faster than other types.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
i just wanted to make sure she wasn't unhealthy or anything. I really like her, much more then the my jerk of a crayfish. He always attacks me and anything else in his tank. SOOOOOO Aggresive

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Can we get a picture when it comes out to make sure it’s a marbled crayfish (self cloning, marmokrebs)? There are a few crayfish that might be mislabeled as this.

Crayfaith

Reactions
I wonder your crayfish is marbled crayfish. It seems it looks like Procambarus clarkii rather marbled crayfish. It is fine that your crayfish moults frequently. As long as it eat, and nothing weird behaviour. It will be fine

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Nice pic. I’d have to say not a marmokreb which is generally the marbled crayfish people refer to. Definitely a nice looking specimen but it’s not self cloning which is one of the big appeals of marmokrebs. Here’s one to compare.

Attachments

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
They can be hard to come by as some areas are tightening down on what invertebrates can enter.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
I walked in, petsmart received it with there shipment of fedder fish, they don't sell them so I got him

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Most of my fish and inverts were actually free. I bought 3 out of my 12 cichlids, my red eared sliders were free, all my crayfish were free, and all of my tanks except my betta tank was free

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I suppose I do have access to free crayfish - it just requires a drive across the city, a net, some footwear that I don't care about, and a maybe towel for afterwards.

I haven't had much luck with "free" to date, but I have at least been able to get my aquarium to cover its own costs. It's nice to have hobbies that can pay for themselves!

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Find coralbandit on aquabid I got mine for $10 plus shipping and then it turned into like 50

The_fishy

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
EDIT: I’m now leaning more towards P. acutus for this identification. Even if the cray had yet to develop more red coloration, the shape of the claws and speckling is closer with this species. Also, the pictures do not show an obvious deep indentation running down the entire middle of the carapace.

I agree with P. clarkii. I got my P. alleni girl when she was 1/4” long and came in with our ghost shrimp shipment.
A6BD23B3-6294-4ECC-8513-5E2221ADD9D9.jpeg

Her now vs her when she went through an orange phase.
C68977BE-4DD4-4948-AC2C-94F33A47F002.jpeg

You aren’t that far off with your marmorkreb identification though because P. clarkii is the third closest relative to the marmorkreb, with the marbled crayfish (species the marmorkreb came from) or P. fallax being the first closest and P. alleni being the second closest.

I do have some P. fallax f. viginalis (marmorkrebs), but I don’t have any offspring to spare at the moment due to needing them for research.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Well I'm OK with her turning those colors haha yours is Gorgeous

The_fishy

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jmcknight123
Thanks!

Actually, I want to change what I said earlier about identification. I was doing some reading and your looks more similar to P. acutus (White River crayfish). How long is the cray? If possible, could you look under the tail? If it actually is P. clarkii, there should be a dark line running down the center.

As for the appetite and molting, perhaps it wasn’t getting enough to eat while at the store?

The_fishy

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
H Farnsworth said:
The_fishy what kind of research?
I’m looking into hindering their reproduction using aspects of their biology. It’s a project that I am doing for graduation, but honestly research like this is what I want to do as a career.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reactions
Experience
1 year
There isn't a dark line under the tail. Also I'm pretty sure they just showed it into their crappy excuse of a planted tank. It was in there for 2 weeks. It's roughly 5 inches right now

The_fishy

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jmcknight123 said:
There isn't a dark line under the tail. Also I'm pretty sure they just showed it into their crappy excuse of a planted tank. It was in there for 2 weeks. It's roughly 5 inches right now
Then I am 98% sure it’s a white river crayfish.

New Threads