Marbled Crayfish Owners Unite!

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As some may know the marbled crayfish or marmokreb (Procambarus virginalis) is a species of freshwater crayfish that reproduces via parthenogenesis (all female, self replicating). There are several organisms that can reproduce by similar means but this crayfish is unique in that its a recently evolved trait. There is much to learn from these crayfish. Just wanted a place for all the marbled crayfish owners to post facts and pictures of their clones.
Here's an enjoyable article containing general facts and evidence of these being true clones.

Here are some of mine

Attachments

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
I bought a big rubber tub to breed these things in thinking I might use them as puffer food. I'm wavering on getting a puffer now, so maybe *I* will just eat them instead. :D

Their appetites make sure nothing goes to waste and I love it. Leftover food, snails, plant trimmings, dead fish, crickets, they'll chow down and be healthier for it. It's great.

OP
H Farnsworth

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here's another article basically talking possible theories for how this species originated, also talks genetic structure for a brief time.

BlackOsprey said:
Their appetites make sure nothing goes to waste and I love it. Leftover food, snails, plant trimmings, dead fish, crickets, they'll chow down and be healthier for it. It's great.
They certainly are constantly hungry. There's even some evidence they can digest plant matter without the help of bacteria! :eek:

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
H Farnsworth said:
They certainly are constantly hungry. There's even some evidence they can digest plant matter without the help of bacteria! :eek:
Oh shoot, ya got a source for that? I didn't think that was possible. :0

OP
H Farnsworth

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I got one somewhere it refers to genes coding for cellulase. I’ll take a look around.

New Threads