Marble sailfin pleco

sticky fish

Does anyone know about marble sailfin plecos?
I saw one at Kahoots today and he is beautiful.
He's brown, black, and army green.
Dad and I took him home and he is acclimating to his new home.
We named him Neeble after the troublemaking worm from MIB 2, and his other tank mates are a goldfish named stinkbait and my other pleco Jeff the Worm.

Shawnie

I'm so into the plecs lately...could you please get a pic when you can? I don't know much about them but love the looks of them all!

sticky fish

No problem with the pics Shawnie... will see if I can get a pic or two up after my dad wakes up that might take awhile Xb

MissMTS

Sailfin plecos, though they are very pretty, are a species closely related to the common plecos. They get huge and need a tank 48 inches or longer. I looked at your aquarium info, and you do not have a tank that can adequately house this pleco when it reaches its adult size. I would recommend either getting a bigger tank or taking the pleco back to the LFS. There are some really nice smaller breeds of plecos such as clown plecos and bristlenose plecos that would work great in a smaller tank.

sticky fish

We are working on the tank size stuff. It's kind of hard when you're a high school student on a budget to get a large tank, though. It will be a long while until he gets to his adult size... he's fairly small.

Ghostfish

Keep an eye of Craigslist for a large tank. You can usually get one for a steal. I have seen some as large as 200 gallons given away for free even due to a person moving or whatnot. You are probably gonna want something in the 90-120 gallon range for that guy eventually.

I hear these plecos are pretty easy to feed and keep up if you have the proper tank for them. They are omnivores so they will eat most of what you drop in the tank. For my plecos, I like to give them bloodworms, shrimp pellets, and raw veggies. I have been treating them to cucumber lately, but zuchinnI is good too. Most veggies that I know of is fair game for them. I am not sure of their growth rates, but generally large plecos get large fairly quickly.

gremlin

Ghostfish said:
I am not sure of their growth rates, but generally large plecos get large fairly quickly.
I have two plecos (sailfin, I think) that went from less than an inch to 8 inches in one summer. Yes, they can grow very quickly!

Allie

MissMTS said:
Sailfin plecos, though they are very pretty, are a species closely related to the common plecos. They get huge and need a tank 48 inches or longer. I looked at your aquarium info, and you do not have a tank that can adequately house this pleco when it reaches its adult size. I would recommend either getting a bigger tank or taking the pleco back to the LFS. There are some really nice smaller breeds of plecos such as clown plecos and bristlenose plecos that would work great in a smaller tank. Here is some literature on sailfin plecos:
What she said ^

sticky fish

He does seem to like cucumber and is getting along well with the big guy Jeff the Worm.
I'll try to keep an eye out for the larger tank, though.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you what the growth rate is though, I have a two inch sailfin who hasn't grown much since I got him over a year ago. He eats well

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom