Marble Goby

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes my gobies indeed do this! They really love to burrow since they often scavenge the bottom of the sea floor in the wild.
If this is a Oxyeleotris marmorata, you are in for a big surprise.
In the wild it takes two people to hold these guys up! They get to around 26 inches!!!
They are found in waters ranging from brackish to fresh, but would most likely have an idea life in a brackish tank.

Is that a goldfish in there I see??
How big is this tank?
It seems like you are a beginner fish keeper which is totally okay! We just need to address a few potential issues with your tanks.
When your goby grows bigger he will eat all those fish.
In a few short months he should be big enough to at least at the smaller ones who look like guppies maybe?
Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? It's very important to the well being of fish, and not knowing about it can lead to a lot of problems and sometimes fish deaths.
If you would like more help just let me know, I'll be willing to help.
If you don't, I understand, but know the road will be very long and tough on your own.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just rescued a Dragon Goby yesterday. About 3 years old.

I've got one of those too! I'm going to build him a 750 gallon brackish pond in the future.
It's a shame they're mostly wild caught, my poor baby went straight from salt to fresh water because of the store.
Now he's in brackish, and much happier than before.
Do you plan on doing brackish for yours?
What kind of algae based foods do you plan on feeding?
These guys get massive too! I read about an inch or more per year, so they probably take about 10 years to get full size... I wonder how long they live in the wild...

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got one of those too! I'm going to build him a 750 gallon brackish pond in the future.
It's a shame they're mostly wild caught, my poor baby went straight from salt to fresh water because of the store.
Now he's in brackish, and much happier than before.
Do you plan on doing brackish for yours?
What kind of algae based foods do you plan on feeding?
These guys get massive too! I read about an inch or more per year, so they probably take about 10 years to get full size... I wonder how long they live in the wild...
Awesome! This is my very first Goby! Soons I saw it's ugly mug, I fell in love with it! I'm gonna try a little brackish as it's been in freshwater most of it's life with other community tankmates (Plecos, Catfish). Right now it's in my 40g growout tank with Juvie Green Terror, JD's, Green Texas and Magma Flowerhorn. So far they haven't bothered it. Hasn't eaten yet as I've read they take a few days to get settled in to their new inviroment. I was gonna place him in my 75G, but I have Africans and Big Blue (6" EBC) already banged up my 6" Clown Knife and I had to move him to another tank for his safety and recovery. I have sand in my 75G so i'm thinking the Goby will like that hiding under the sand, but unsure what my africans will do to it.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome! This is my very first Goby! Soons I saw it's ugly mug, I fell in love with it! I'm gonna try a little brackish as it's been in freshwater most of it's life with other community tankmates (Plecos, Catfish). Right now it's in my 40g growout tank with Juvie Green Terror, JD's, Green Texas and Magma Flowerhorn. So far they haven't bothered it. Hasn't eaten yet as I've read they take a few days to get settled in to their new inviroment. I was gonna place him in my 75G, but I have Africans and Big Blue (6" EBC) already banged up my 6" Clown Knife and I had to move him to another tank for his safety and recovery. I have sand in my 75G so i'm thinking the Goby will like that hiding under the sand, but unsure what my africans will do to it.
Mm yeah I'm unsure how other fish would do with them.
If it helps any, for mines first meal he lunged after bloodworms.
I thought he was a bichir! Haha!
They have specialized teeth, almost all the gobies do.
The one the OP has is mostly carnivorous, while ours are specialized for algae!
Though it seems all of them do enjoy a nice meaty meal! Especially shrimp! Haha
My dragon was my 3rd goby, my first two being knight gobies.
I really love them, they're super cute! We saw the ugly mug and fell in love as well!
OPs goby has a very ugly mug when 26 inches! LOL
I think it's really cool to give them a super big area to swim in, much like their natural environment.
They're also a good excuse to get more brackish fish hehehe
Since they get so big you can get away with stocking other gobies with them as well, or other fish, instead of just a single fish in a massive tank lol
If OP plans to make a brackish tank, I would definitely suggest getting more gobies.
My knights like to hang out as a pair.

Alex ortiz

Reaction score
Yes my gobies indeed do this! They really love to burrow since they often scavenge the bottom of the sea floor in the wild.
If this is a Oxyeleotris marmorata, you are in for a big surprise.
In the wild it takes two people to hold these guys up! They get to around 26 inches!!!
They are found in waters ranging from brackish to fresh, but would most likely have an idea life in a brackish tank.

Is that a goldfish in there I see??
How big is this tank?
It seems like you are a beginner fish keeper which is totally okay! We just need to address a few potential issues with your tanks.
When your goby grows bigger he will eat all those fish.
In a few short months he should be big enough to at least at the smaller ones who look like guppies maybe?
Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? It's very important to the well being of fish, and not knowing about it can lead to a lot of problems and sometimes fish deaths.
If you would like more help just let me know, I'll be willing to help.
If you don't, I understand, but know the road will be very long and tough on your own.
Not necessarily a beginner in the hoby just never owned a goby. And it is a marble goby he’s currently only 2.5 inches or so in a 29 gallon. The minnows and the gold fish you see I cycled the tank with. Completely intending on them to be eaten when I bought my predatory fish. The small fry are actually mollies and I bought 6 when I bought the goby and he’s eaten all of them in 4 days and a minnow. The tank is completely cycled and I am aware that gold fish are fatty. He won’t get another. I plan to move him to a 150 later in his life. And plan to breed guppies or mollies to feed him until his to big then I’ll be feeding him shiners . I want him to be at home as much as possible and feel completely comfortable. I will be increasing the thickness of the substrate within the next week so he can burrow

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not necessarily a beginner in the hoby just never owned a goby. And it is a marble goby he’s currently only 2.5 inches or so in a 29 gallon. The minnows and the gold fish you see I cycled the tank with. Completely intending on them to be eaten when I bought my predatory fish. The small fry are actually mollies and I bought 6 when I bought the goby and he’s eaten all of them in 4 days and a minnow. The tank is completely cycled and I am aware that gold fish are fatty. He won’t get another. I plan to move him to a 150 later in his life. And plan to breed guppies or mollies to feed him until his to big then I’ll be feeding him shiners . I want him to be at home as much as possible and feel completely comfortable. I will be increasing the thickness of the substrate within the next week so he can burrow
Totally not what I was expecting! Love it!
That's awesome he's eaten so many hahaha!!!
Sounds like he has an amazing well kept home!
Hehe I wish I was as spoiled as that goby! That's awesome he's getting that kind of care! A lot of people keep gobies in fresh their entire life.

I've heard you can have luck adding plants to brackish waters, I haven't tried just yet, but I will be soon with anacharis, bacopa, and a few other plants including ludwigia.
I used to have my knight goby in fresh, and they loved to spend time near the plants.
My dragon lived to burrow under them as well, mostly to get away from all the bottom feeders lol
I hope your goby lives an amazing life! Sounds like he's got one of the best starts already!
I'll probably feed my knights fry too when I get enough of them.

Alex ortiz

Reaction score
Totally not what I was expecting! Love it!
That's awesome he's eaten so many hahaha!!!
Sounds like he has an amazing well kept home!
Hehe I wish I was as spoiled as that goby! That's awesome he's getting that kind of care! A lot of people keep gobies in fresh their entire life.

I've heard you can have luck adding plants to brackish waters, I haven't tried just yet, but I will be soon with anacharis, bacopa, and a few other plants including ludwigia.
I used to have my knight goby in fresh, and they loved to spend time near the plants.
My dragon lived to burrow under them as well, mostly to get away from all the bottom feeders lol
I hope your goby lives an amazing life! Sounds like he's got one of the best starts already!
I'll probably feed my knights fry too when I get enough of them.
I don’t necessarily know if I’ll be going completely brackish since I do want other large fish like a bichir or a silver aro

An update on my tanks!! Just uploaded a new video showing all my little buddies

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom