Marble gene and how it works

sslliitthheerr

i was just in another thread that was talking about someone getting a marble betta but i would like to learn more about it

BigManAquatics

More or less what happens if your betta has it, will often appear with patches of different color either all over or randomly with a main color. Can even show up randomly in life, even if the fish shows no sign of it for a long time.

sslliitthheerr

More or less what happens if your betta has it, will often appear with patches of different color either all over or randomly with a main color. Can even show up randomly in life, even if the fish shows no sign of it for a long time.
ok but how do I get that gene into the fish I breed

Demeter

You can pretty much assume the majority of bettas have the marble gene. As young fry, once they start to develop color you may notice solid blue fish will suddenly turn completely cellophane and perhaps become koi patterned later down the road. A lot of people will buy a nicely patterned koi that turns much darker, perhaps even solid colored again as it matures. So basically all koi bettas have that marble gene.

A lot of the "blue rim" or multi colored "fancy" bettas are marbles. The ones that do not seem to marble much are solid colors from solid colored parents (say full red or blue). Wild colored domestic bettas also do not marble much. I've noticed in my own spawns that the all silver ones don't marble much either.

After about 1 year of age the chance of them marbling is much less than while they are young. You should expect most of the white ones with blue spotting to eventually turn more blue as well. Any light colored fish (white, cellophane mainly) that has a few dark splashes of color often turn mostly that darker color. Again, in my own spawns I've had a number of them turn piebald with some shade of blue body and a white head.

Check out this link and click on the spawning years to see what certain color pairings produce, also gives a good idea on what to look for in body and fin form.
http://bettaterritory.nl/BT-Spawns.htm

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sputnik
Replies
Views
Jellibeen
  • Question
Replies
Views