Marble Convict tank requirements

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

In my LFS I have just seen sme marble convicts and after I drooled all ver the floor I decided to double check tank requirements and pick up tips on sexing them before I brought any home and regretted it. My partner is picking up a new tank for me as a bday pressie so I can do species only if need be!

They looked like this:

http://www.freewebs.com/cichlids-angelfish/Picture 958.jpg

I have no idea why that link says angelfish :p

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Same as any other Convict, 20 gal. minimum for a breeding pair. Do well in any larger tanks.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

well I dont know anything about convicts but I have seen pictures before so I thought I would do a bit of research first.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great fish..I have a few myself ;)
    that pic is a female marble..see the orange/red on her belly? thats what ALL female cons will have no matter what color...males wont

are you planning on a con only tank or with other species? what size tank?

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I was going to go for a tank to suit the fish so if 20g is minimum I would go for a 55g. species only would be cool but out of interest what other species can they mix with and what are they like territorial wise?

6. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Most other NW cichlids. I have mine with Oscars, BR Parrots, Firemouths, and a pleco.
    Shawnie has hers with JD's as well.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

all that amanda mentioned above..and I also have mine with angels, and blood red cichlids...if you get the same sex , you dont always have the mean streak these fish carry...although the fems will spawn together and act mean thinking they will have fry...so id almost go all males unless you want fry...