Maracyn 2 & The Nitrogen Cycle

Fishywife

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've recently been using maracyn2 in a 10g quarantine as a preventative. This tank has been up a couple of months as I had 3 rescue kribensis in it recently. (Non medicated). I rehomed the pair and kept the 3rd wheel. Then I bought a pair of keyholes, which resided in there for about 3 weeks, one of which had hex. I used api general cure for that, which worked. Then my Angel's divorced as such and the female attacked my Male pretty bad, injuring his eye and pectoral fin. I had rescued a sailfin molly with tail rot too. So, I put the male angel in the 10g quarantine with the sailfin, dosed maracyn 2(after a huge water change) removed the keyhole to a 5g qt to finish his treatment.

So, my Male angel and female sailfin have completed thier 5 day treatment with maracyn2 and are healed, ready to go into my 55g. Which brings me to this:
I tested the 10g quarantine this morning for nitrates. It came back as 0. Puzzled, because the filter is fully cycled, and has been for over 2 years. So I ammonia and nitrite tested, which came back at 0 too. Perplexed is not the word. I do have a little bit of java moss and floating water Sprite in there, but imo not nearly enough to register 0 nitrates! Does maracyn 2 affect api nitrate tests? Has my cycle been knocked out? The angel and sailfin are big fish for a 10g so surely I would have gotten some type of reading from it?
Later on today I will be getting x3 large angels arriving (shipped) which will go into this 10g temporarily so obviously I'm a bit worried my cycle has gone bye bye. (I have plenty of cycled sponges in that case). Anyone else used maracyn 2 and got a 0 nitrate reading?

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what i know maracyn 2 is a cycle killer antibiotic. But its also a very good antibiotic So use with caution (remove your good bacteria filter pad and put it in a diffrent tank to keep running while you kill the bad bacteria in the display tank)

They do make flake meds, doxycycline and oxytetracycline work good too.

Fishywife

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's ok it's running in my qt tank. I always have small cycled power filters and sponge filters cycled at all times in case of emergency. I'll monitor the water closely as I have 3 large angels just delivered 2 of which needed meds.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom