maracyn 1/2 redose?

kernal357

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redose maracyn after water change?

I am currently treating a bacterial infection in a hospital tank. This morn ammonia was .25ppm. I am thinking i will need to chang some water. I could use some advise as to weather or not i will need to redose the new water with maracyn and maracyn 2, in addition to tonights regular dosing. Thanks...

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kernal357 said:
I am currently treating a bacterial infection in a hospital tank. This morn ammonia was .25ppm. I am thinking i will need to chang some water. I could use some advise as to weather or not i will need to redose the new water with maracyn and maracyn 2, in addition to tonights regular dosing. Thanks...
The best thing to do would be to try and add some filter media from your main tank so your QT can process the ammonia so you don't need to muck around with the meds. From what I've read you should try and hold off on the water changes unitll you've finished your course of meds. Maybe try and add some Prime or another water conditioner that can detoxify ammonia.

If you can't do any of the above or ammonia levels keep rising then a partial water change may be the way to go so your fish don't suffer ammonia poisening. Re-dose the meds as per the percentage of water you take out. For example if you do a 30% water change then I would re-dose 30% normal dose of meds. 50% water change then re-dose 50% normal dose of meds.

Good luck. I'm still working on a couple of rainbows with ulcers. It's been several weeks now

kernal357

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sounds like we have similer problems. I have been fighting ulcers on 3 of my tetras for couple weeks as well. can't seem to kick it. The meds have stoped the progretion but the sores arent clearing up. I thought i read somewhere that with maracyn it disipates after a few hours, remaining only in the fish, so re dosing wouldnt be necessary. However i can't varify that info, and my memory isnt always perfect so?....Anyway at this point i donated some more gravel from the main tank and ammo is holding steady at .25. Tanks for the advise.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kernal357 said:
sounds like we have similer problems. I have been fighting ulcers on 3 of my tetras for couple weeks as well. can't seem to kick it. The meds have stoped the progretion but the sores arent clearing up. I thought i read somewhere that with maracyn it disipates after a few hours, remaining only in the fish, so re dosing wouldnt be necessary. However i can't varify that info, and my memory isnt always perfect so?....Anyway at this point i donated some more gravel from the main tank and ammo is holding steady at .25. Tanks for the advise.
Hey again, Yeah your point on the maracyn remaining in the fish may be right. I know I read in several places to try and hold off on the water change which is why I mentioned it. I'm keen to hear how you go in the end and if you choose to try another med. I think it must be about 6 weeks or so since my Rainbows developed ulcers and only 1 of the two is showing significant improvement. I've tried Tri-Sulfa tablets, Meth Blue, melafix and now Maracyn Plus!

Well hang in there. I hope you have more success than me.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads