Maracyn 1&2 - discolors fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by annewaldron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. annewaldronValued MemberMember

I'm on day 2 of a redose of Maracyn 2 in QT with flame tetras and I've added in Maracyn 1 because the bacterial infection hadn't cleared up completely. Ammonia readings are still 0 (nitrates ~5). I gave them 4 days rest after dose 1 plus a few water changes and new established filter media. Temp is 73.8

I'm noticing that the fishes' coloration has gotten dark. The usually bright yellow gold coloring has turned burnished- I can especially tell when looking down into the tank- there's almost a brownish color all along the tops of them.

Is this anything I should be concerned about?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357759179.189513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357759207.830073.jpg

They are behaving normally.

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I've used both Maracyns 1 and 2 and have never had a problem with fish discoloration. The water definitely turns cloudy by the end of the treatment, though.

I just want to clarify on how you're administering it, though. If I'm understanding you correctly, you added the first dose, waited four days, changed the water, then added the second dose? Unfortunately this is not how the medicine works at all. Just how if you go to the doctor and he gives you an antibiotic, and you're urged to take it exactly as prescribed, for the entire duration of the treatment (IE not stopping early just because you feel better), you must administer Maracyn 1 and 2 exactly as specified. Which is to add one dose per day (for one of them, the first dose is a double dose, I don't remember which) for the duration of (I believe) five days. The fish aren't supposed to get "a break" because you've dropped the concentration of the medicine in the water drastically, rather than keeping it at the proper level for the duration of the treatment. I would start over with dose one, and proceed as indicated on the back of the package, as the first dose doesn't really count.

If you didn't do that and I misread, then feel free to ignore me :;smack

3. annewaldronValued MemberMember

No, sorry. I did a full first 5-day round and this is the beginning of the second round. I did a 4-day break between rounds.

"Dose" wasn't the best choice of words!

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ohh, I see! Sounds good to me, I would have done the same (water change in between). I see now you said "redose," mybad :p

I wouldn't be concerned about the coloring; they may be looking dull from stress due to illness and the presence of the medication in the water.

On another note, do you have a heater in the tank? Can you raise the temperature? 73 is pretty low, I'm sure they'd appreciate it if the water was around 78 instead.

5. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Yes, if a fish becomes stressed out it will change color, however, they usually become pale, not darker, so this is a bit unusual to me. o_O

6. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I would suggest raising the temperature as well, often the warmer temps will help them fight off the illness. I have had some fish that were darker colored when stressed especially if the surroundings were darker colored. It was like they were trying to camouflage themselves so that while they were ill or stressed out, they would be in darker "hide" mode rather than the normal brilliant colors... similar to when you first bring home a fish in a bag and it's colors aren't what you saw in the display tank or in pictures.

7. annewaldronValued MemberMember

I do have a heater in there set to keep the temp between 73.5-74.5

I thought the idea was that lower temps were ideal because they keep bacteria (such as columnaris) from growing quickly so that the meds have a better chance to do their job.

Any thoughts on that?

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

It depends on the type of bacteria. Are you certain it's a bacterial infection? You're correct that columnaris grows more quickly at high temps, but other issues like ich grow poorly at high temperatures.

Unless you're certain it's columnaris, I would raise the temp. Fish's immune systems are more capable of fighting infections at higher temperatures.

9. annewaldronValued MemberMember

I couldn't tell what it is, to be honest. It started as cloudy fuzzy patches on the tetra's body a couple days after I'd raised the temp in the main tank from 85-ish to 87+ to treat Ich. Here's a pic:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357766100.853605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357766111.725445.jpg

It got about 85% better after round one with Maracyn2, but was still present.

10. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

if you dont know what it is and even if its is bacterial or fungal 78f is a good temp. you dont have to worry about high temps helping the illness tell you get over 80f, at least not to the point of worry. the low temps will slow there immune system down slowing the ability to fight infection.

11. annewaldronValued MemberMember

Ok will start to raise it slowly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice