Many "single" fish for a 29?

fishyfriends876

Hello! I recently came across this video on youtube:

Of course, most of those species are too large to be kept in my 29 gallon, but I really like how there's about 1-2 of each fish and a school of something. Would I be able to do some sort of design like this? Something like 4-5 medium-sized fish, 1-2 of each species, and a school of some sort? Thanks!

jkkgron2

I don’t think that keeping 4-5 single fish in a 29g is the best idea. Just looking at the start of the video the tank looks a bit overstocked so not sure you’d want to try to replicate that. How about this stocking instead

1 apsitogramma
3 honey gouramis
8 harlequin rasboras
2 peacock gudgeons
And 1-2 nerite snails to help with algae?

Edit: Apistos might not work well with the peacock gudgeons. You may want to just get a few more honeys or gudgeons instead of the apisto. Or you could remove the gudgeons and get a pair of apistos.

fishyfriends876

jkkgron2 said:
I don’t think that keeping 4-5 single fish in a 29g is the best idea. Just looking at the start of the video the tank looks a bit overstocked so not sure you’d want to try to replicate that. How about this stocking instead

1 apsitogramma
3 honey gouramis
8 harlequin rasboras
2 peacock gudgeons
And 1-2 nerite snails to help with algae?

Edit: Apistos might not work well with the peacock gudgeons. You may want to just get a few more honeys or gudgeons instead of the apisto. Or you could remove the gudgeons and get a pair of apistos.
Thanks for the reply! Does the sex of the apistos or gudgeons matter, or is it fine to just get 2 random ones?

jkkgron2

fishyfriends876 said:
Thanks for the reply! Does the sex of the apistos or gudgeons matter, or is it fine to just get 2 random ones?
Try to get a male and female of both pairs. The apistos are more what I would worry about if you got both males. The gudgeons are much less aggressive, you’ll just get more interaction between them if you have a male and female. Two females of both should be ok :)

PeteStevers

I would think that would be way too many fish. You're talking about adding like 15 fish to a 30 gallon tank. Half of them medium sized fish. In order to make that work, you would need a very good filtration system.

jkkgron2

PeteStevers said:
I would think that would be way too many fish. You're talking about adding like 15 fish to a 30 gallon tank. Half of them medium sized fish. In order to make that work, you would need a very good filtration system.
The stocking I suggested?

Harlquin rasboras have small bioloads and tend to school in the middle of the tank. Honey gouramis usually prefer the top. The gudgeons are bottom dwellers and the apistos tend to stay in the middle or bottom of the tank so they aren’t crowded. Bio load wise, As long as they do weekly water changes of around 50% and they aren’t under filtering I think that stocking will work fine.

Top Bottom