Mantis Shrimp

Hypnox

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my 10 gallon nano into a 20 gallon nano (pics to come soon) so wanted to do something with my 10 gallon nano. After re-cycling the tank and adding about 3 pounds of LR rubble I finally picked up a mantis shrimp.

Here is some pics of him while acclimating, I'll have some more tonight of him in the tank. The species is Gonodactylus platysoma. Max size of this species is right around 4" and is also glass aquarium safe as they do not pack enough punch to break the glass.

And now, pictures!

pinkfloydpuffer

Man those things creep me out, but they are so cool! They have the silliest little faces.
If I had a little tank and I found one of these guys I'd probably keep him.
I can't wait to see him in his home!

travie

Are you sure about not being able to break glass?

Hypnox

travie said:
Are you sure about not being able to break glass?
Yes, my information came from a person who studies nothing but stomatopods who frequently posts to a forum for saltwater tanks. The smaller species, such as gonodactylus family typically do not have enough power to break a glass tank. The larger species, like common peacock mantis shrimp, that get upwards of 8 inches full grown can break the glass but even then it is still rare. Rare as in there is maybe a dozen reported cases of it happening in this researchers history of studying them.

travie

Good luck and keep the fingers safe.

Lucy

Hypnox said:
Hey guys,

Max size of this species is right around 4" and is also glass aquarium safe as they do not pack enough punch to break the glass.

sirdarksol

You know, the whole breaking glass thing isn't even something I would have thought of to worry about, though it makes sense.

Hypnox

travie said:
Good luck and keep the fingers safe.
I intend to feed it with a bamboo skewer.

Jess

Wow I just looked them up. They are beautiful and dangerous. Don't get your finger near that guy! I can't believe all the different colors they come in. Can you photograph him after he colors up?

Jess

Check out this video of Mantis Shrimp attacking a crab!

Butterfly

WOW! He was tossing that crab all over the place!
Carol

pinkfloydpuffer

Jess said:
Check out this video of Mantis Shrimp attacking a crab!

HOLY ****! That thing is freaking creepy!!!! I want one!!! LOL

Jess

Yeah, I would have problems watching that ongoing thing in my tank. (personally)
But he is quite a warrior for sure.

Hypnox

The one in the video is the more common Peacock mantis shrimp, the ones you hear about breaking glass.

I'm hoping mine will have started building it's burrow out of the rubble in the tank by the time I get home.

Lucy

I repeat....

Poor crab.

nemo addict

Hypnox said:
but even then it is still rare. Rare as in there is maybe a dozen reported cases of it happening in this researchers history of studying them.
That's because most people get rid of them as soon as they can ,, and that's problerbly the 12 people that didnt know what they was

Hypnox

nemo addict said:
That's because most people get rid of them as soon as they can ,, and that's problerbly the 12 people that didnt know what they was
Actually it's because the sand-burrowing types, which are commonly mis-identified as rubble burrow building types dig down to the glass bottom, find it, and hit it. The only other type that packs enough power to break glass tanks is a grown common peacock that has the stopping power of a .22 caliber pistol. The cases where peacocks have broken glass is because someone was taunting it by holding their fingers up to the glass.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom