Manganese Dioxide And Well Water

JRC3

I have a private well that is filtered with a Pyrolox (manganese dioxide) iron filter and then a water softener. The Pyrolox filter has no air or chemical injection. Anyone know if manganese dioxide has any ill affects on freshwater fish or if there's any other concern? Of course I plan to get my aquarium water after the iron filter and before it goes through the softener. As usual I will be aging my water in a Brute trashcan with a circ pump and heater.

I have a fairly hefty RO system if needed but I'd prefer not to have to recondition and buffer RO water.

pH: 7.3
Hardness: 22 grains
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

I'm not sure what to expect over time with such hard water. I've always been lucky and had soft city water.

Coradee

Bumping this up for you

JRC3

Thanks.

Birm and greensand iron filters are very similar. Anyone use either of those without using chlorine or potassium permanganate for oxidation or regen or backwash? Those medias use manganese dioxide coated media and a very similar. I see that manganese dioxide is used sometimes for treating certain fish sicknesses but I want to know about long term exposure.

By the way, those water parameters above are after the Pyrolox filter. The pH seems to stay unchanged for the most part before and after the filter, luckily. I need my iron filter to remove iron and some light sulfur smell.

IDK, maybe RO might be the best route.

This is what the filter looks like. It's basically a water softener with different media and no brine tank. You might have one and not realize it.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 116

JRC3

15% of US households are on a private well, I would've thought there were more of us here. LOL

OK, lets try another question as there are even more of us with hard water and regular water softeners. Anyone know if softening with potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride is safe for the aquarium. I know potassium is less effective and cost several times as much, but it is something to consider.

Either way, RO is still an option.

JRC3

Oh well. No pun intended.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
Tinytail
Replies
Views