Question Mandarin Fish

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Full belly is a good sign !
Grazing is what you want to see almost all the time ..
Sounds like you are doing real good so far ..
Is yours a male or female? Males have the dorsal spike ..

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Full belly is a good sign !
Grazing is what you want to see almost all the time ..
Sounds like you are doing real good so far ..
Is yours a male or female? Males have the dorsal spike ..
Ok, won't rest on my lorals yet, my phyto culture seems to be going clear!?! I took some out and am setting up another, but it's just like murkey water now, as opposed to green water before, any ideas as to why it's diying?

Mines a male I think, he's got a pretty prominent dorsal spike on his back, although not always displaying it when in crevices!

Ethan

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never kept phyto..If your tank is healthy it sounds like you got a good male and hopefully all will work out .
I made no special efforts for any of my mandarins or the ruby red .I run sump and feed minimally ..They last years for me and I will not keep my marine tank without a mandarin or ruby red or a marine betta ! Doing it since the 1980s see no reason to change now ..
Sounds like you are doing good .

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have never kept phyto..If your tank is healthy it sounds like you got a good male and hopefully all will work out .
I made no special efforts for any of my mandarins or the ruby red .I run sump and feed minimally ..They last years for me and I will not keep my marine tank without a mandarin or ruby red or a marine betta ! Doing it since the 1980s see no reason to change now ..
Sounds like you are doing good .
I will Definitely do both of those in my tank I will get. (Not for a while) But The Green Mandarin was the fish that got me into saltwater.
*I have no clue why it put funny I was trying to put agree

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can't seem to see a dent, do you mean face to tail? Looked all around and he looks well rounded (admittedly not a great look) but couldn't see anything... Another question, can I use skimmate as a fert for my phyto?

Ethan
In the midsection (underbelly).

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, can't seem to see anything on him, I think he's got a ridge on both sides of his body running from head to tail (hardly noticeable, may even have been shadow) but he seems " plump" I've tried to attach a picture, but due to my phone's incapability to photograph under hydras and the shy nature of this guy it's not very good, I'll try and get better ones later.

Ethan
1566900803517.jpg

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have found that vids do better with fish than pics in terms of showing things. Even if it's a short one.
Ok, well I'm afraid to report that I finally found him out and about, and there is what I think to be a dent just below his head, anything I can do? Not sure if it's clear in the vid... Should I try and recapture him? I can get some pods from the LFS tomorrow.

Idk how to attach a video, so I've put a link to where I've posted it on twitter and Facebook, hope this works

Ethan

Last edited:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He looks ok and active to me .. Yes male .
His eyes will bilge out of his head and there will be a valley between them .
His fins look full and clean ..If he eats /pecks around and does not look skinny [you will know it ] you are ok I still think .
Nice pics .
Delete your links in other post through edit if you like ..Nice report card !
Smart kid ,enjoy your mandy !

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He looks ok and active to me .. Yes male .
His eyes will bilge out of his head and there will be a valley between them .
His fins look full and clean ..If he eats /pecks around and does not look skinny [you will know it ] you are ok I still think .
Nice pics .
Delete your links in other post through edit if you like ..Nice report card !
Smart kid ,enjoy your mandy !
Idk why it put up my GCSE results , linked to the other post, anyway, I'm a bit worried still so I'll get more pods tomorrow as they can't hurt, one thing I read was that dinoflagellates can kill pods, is this true? As I've got Dinos in my tank!

Ethan

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Idk why it put up my GCSE results , linked to the other post, anyway, I'm a bit worried still so I'll get more pods tomorrow as they can't hurt, one thing I read was that dinoflagellates can kill pods, is this true? As I've got Dinos in my tank!

Ethan
Yeah you are going to have to do something about those Dino’s, they can kill copepods, isopods, and all of those. So dosing might be needed unless you have another tank without Dino’s to feed it?

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah you are going to have to do something about those Dino’s, they can kill copepods, isopods, and all of those. So dosing might be needed unless you have another tank without Dino’s to feed it?
I've only got a 15L Pico reef, so no good for a mandarin fish, spent about 2 hours earlier pulling algae out of the reef, and installing a filter sock... Thinking of paying for a subscription for weekly pods to be delivered to me, is there anything else that pods will eat instead of phyto?

Ethan

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've only got a 15L Pico reef, so no good for a mandarin fish, spent about 2 hours earlier pulling algae out of the reef, and installing a filter sock... Thinking of paying for a subscription for weekly pods to be delivered to me, is there anything else that pods will eat instead of phyto?

Ethan
You can actually feed them fish food if you ground it up enough, it would be much easier if you could use an extra tank just for them.

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can actually feed them fish food if you ground it up enough, it would be much easier if you could use an extra tank just for them.
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply! I've put them in a separate container and will put an airstone in Tomorrow... Can I feed them reef roids?

Also, just saw something about mandarins linking lobster eggs, is this true?

Ethan
IMG_20190830_192056.jpg

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply! I've put them in a separate container and will put an airstone in Tomorrow... Can I feed them reef roids?

Also, just saw something about mandarins linking lobster eggs, is this true?

EthanView attachment 584284
Hello,

1. I would not use reef roids the other options would be fine.

2. Yes, they will eat Lobster Eggs! Also, they should be better in nutrition than Brine Shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 19.2%

Top Bottom