Mandarin fish question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have a 46g reef tank, that i have been working on for the past 2 months, the tank is much older around 2yrs but i have upgraded lighting and started adding various coral. As i have added the coral and live rock that the coral is attached to, i have noticed quite a few additives to my tank including quite a population of copepods. When the light is turned on after being off for a couple of hours, i see 50 to 100 copepod type critters. I was considering adding a manderin fish to feed on these copepods. I would never have dreamed of even considering a manderin, however it seems like i have so many copepods in the tank. My question is does anyone have any experience with these beautiful fish and a what advice do any of you have on this should i try the fish or wait and let the tank mature, or is 46g too small for any success. thanks

Last edited:

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say a 46g is too small for a mandarin goby, they go through huge amounts of copods a day, i don't think 100 would last him long.

On the other hand if you wanted to shell out for one of the ORA mandarin gobies, it would work! They are more pricy then wild caught, but they do eat prepared foods. Just make sure you are clear when you go to your LFS that you want a ORA mandarin.

Anna

OP
K

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Or any other fish that might control the copepod population some, my aquarium info is up to date, so i could add one more fish, just a little concern on the copepods, I know that they can be good detrius cleaners, but dont want any damage to my coral

OP
K

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok thanks, i am assuming that they are copepods, they are white, differnet sizes ( guessing different due to age) and were brought in with the live rock and coral, they come out more after the lights are off, dont see them much with lights on

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, if they look like little creepy crawly bugs then they are pods all right!

If you find them unsightly, there are plenty of fish that will actively hunt them (like the wrasses I mentioned, and plenty others) that would be a good choice for a 46 gallon, it's just that the mandarin and scooter blenny probably won't do well in that size.

OP
K

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i didnt think the manderin would but it was the fish i knew ate pods, i have a fairly peaceful setup so a little worried about the wrasse ( but i think 6 lines are beautiful), how do you think it would do with my fish setup ( ocellaris clowns, damsel, zebra dart fish and gramma,) really more concerned for the zebras

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I probably wouldn't recommend a sixline or fourline, but there are some fairy wrasses that would be just fine IMO. Filamented flasher wrasse or McCosker's flasher wrasse, for example, are much more mild mannered than most sixlines and stay smaller than some of the other fairy wrasses. I think either would do just fine in your tank.

OP
K

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
x i just looked up a pic of the McCosker's flasher wrasse and he is beautiful :jawdrop:, think i will keep him in mind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 18.2%

Top Bottom