Man!!! This Just Isn’t Working For Me!

LunaSky
I’ve had a 20 gallon planted tank for a while. The very first thing I added was 6 rummy nose tetras (after cycling). One died but the others were doing great. Two weeks later I added a male plakat koi betta. Durning this time the rummy noses displayed beautifully. Schooling and using the whole mid part of the tank. Later I added 6 birilliant rasporas. The rasporas went into hiding and my rummy noses fallowed. I got rid of the radporas hoping it would bring my rummy noses back from hiding, but that didn’t work. This was about 10 or so days ago. My rummy noses stayed to one corner, coming out only at dinner time. I added 3 more rummys for a total of eight, no change.

Two days ago I went to my LFS and asked for a brave type of schooling fish, hoping to get so movement in my tank. They sold me 6 glow light danios. Well, now the danios are huddled in the corner with my rummys. 14 fish in one tiny corner, yup. I have never had this happen before. 0 ammonia, 6.7 ph, 0 nitrites and 22 nitrates. Heavily planted with live plants.

david1978
I would move the betta to his own tank. Sounds like he may be bullying the other fish.

SwishyFishy
Are the nitrates supposed to be that high? You should do a water change and try to lower the nitrates.
I don't think the betta is a problem unless you catch it harassing the other fish. I personally have a betta in with 7 silvertips and so far they ignore each other.

The Rover
Are the nitrates supposed to be that high? You should do a water change and try to lower the nitrates.
I don't think the betta is a problem unless you catch it harassing the other fish. I personally have a betta in with 7 silvertips and so far they ignore each other.

Nitrates are fine. 22 is completely ok and not why the fish are hiding in the corner. Most likely the betta is the reason.

david1978
I have seen many threads like this. You had a delicate balance with only the one school of fish and everything was fine. After adding the second school the betta felt cramped and got upset. I have yet to see a tank achieve that balance once lost.

Mcasella
Even if the betta is not bullying the fish he is likely scaring them. I would take him out and put him in a tank by himself and the tetras should come out more.

bitseriously
If nothing else, taking the Betta out for a few hours may cause the rummies to come out of their corner. If so, you’ll know what the problem is. Was.
I know it’s not the outcome ur hoping for, but if evidence points u that way...
Maybe float the Betta in a non-clear container atop the main tank, so u don’t have to worry about heating.

SwishyFishy
That's just causing the betta unnecessary stress.

LunaSky
The betta is fine! He swims at the top. He’s been with these rummy noses for a while now so that wasn’t the issue. I changed my landscape around and added water wisteria and couple other plants. Now my tank is super heavily planted!!!! They are now out and about. My tank is currently stocked with my betta, rummies and glow light danios. Not sure if the landscape change is what helped but I am not complaining.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Dila415
Replies
Views