Mama ob zebra cichlid

cmbjohnson
goofy thing...I had her in a guppy breeder in a fry tank and stripped some, but they were still in their sacs and she seemed a little aggitated, so I let her hang on to the others. once the "born" fry started moving around, they crawled back up to where mama was and she picked them back up...do I strip again? keep her separated? any advice would be great!

COBettaCouple
what do you mean that you stripped some? ??? This is a Zebra Danio?

Allie
She means an OB zebra african cichlid...striping is when you make them spit out the babies....but that isn't usually done until they hold for 3 weeks and won't let the babies go. Striping isn't something you have to do.

cmbjohnson
Sorry if that wasn't clear, thanks Allie for explaining...it has been over three weeks and some of them were almost sacless. do I let her spit on her own?

Allie
Sorry if that wasn't clear, thanks Allie for explaining...it has been over three weeks and some of them were almost sacless. do I let her spit on her own?
I'd keep an eye on her since it's been 3 weeks...if you want to strip her I would do it now since you already tried. She may eat her babies as soon as she spits them.

cmbjohnson
I think I'll try. I have other fry in the tank that are about a month old. will the new ones be ok mixed in, or should I put them in the guppy breeder? x

COBettaCouple
ah, I see. Yea, our cichlid experience is limited to egg-layers so far, so that's interesting to learn and now I understand the problem better.

How big are the month old ones?

She means an OB zebra african cichlid...striping is when you make them spit out the babies....but that isn't usually done until they hold for 3 weeks and won't let the babies go. Striping isn't something you have to do.

cmbjohnson
i'll say about 1/3 in. :;pirate

COBettaCouple
It sounds like they're not big enough to consider the new fry food. I think I'd have the breeder ready just in case but put the new ones in with them. Especially if Allie agrees.

Allie
I think I'll try. I have other fry in the tank that are about a month old. will the new ones be ok mixed in, or should I put them in the guppy breeder? x
I'd put them in a breeder trap, they should be fine with others but I am not 100% sure.

cmbjohnson
why won't she just spit already? I think they'll be fine with the other fry, but what do I do with her?

COBettaCouple
I think you need to have a good talk with her and show her in a cichlid book how she's supposed to act.

She seems pretty stubborn - is this the first time she's had fry?

why won't she just spit already? I think they'll be fine with the other fry, but what do I do with her?

Allie
She'll get hungry sooner or later...and the babies will want out. How long as it been exactly? They can hold longer than 21 days/3 weeks.

cmbjohnson
she's very stubborn!! this is the first time for her, i'm not sure exactly how long she's been holding, but it was right around thanksgiving if I remember correctly.

ninilie
I have one holding too. I first noticed dec 6 so I should have christmas - new years babys. Its her first time too. Last night I noticed that she ate a very small piece of food that floated by. That's the first time I seen her eat while holding.

Well keep us posted. I hope she has them soon.

Allie
she's very stubborn!! this is the first time for her, i'm not sure exactly how long she's been holding, but it was right around thanksgiving if I remember correctly.
If she doesn't spit soon, you should strip her...it's been nearly 4 weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolfishdude
Replies
Views
Shawn Menard
Replies
Views
Al913
Top Bottom