mama guppy Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by gavins1dad, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gavins1dadNew MemberMember

Need help soon. My mama guppy started birthing Tuesday so I hurried and caught her and he 3 babies. She eat one baby but she stopped giving birth. I have released her back into the tank to see if that eases the stress but you can look and tell she hasn't had all the babies. Now her stomach is starting to turn a yellowish color. Will she be ok and is there anything I can do to help her.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Gavins1dad,

I believe for one reason or another the fish is stressed. Please check your water chemistry for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, pH levels. According to your profile information you have nitrites. If this is the case then either your tank isn't cycled or you're going through a mini cycle. Water changes would be in order to get your readings back to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. Dose with Prime or Amquel + to detox the nitrites for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change.

You have the tank start date as April 27, 2010. Did you mean March 27, 2010? :)

Best wishes for healthy fry!
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    g

gavins1dadNew MemberMember

my appoligize

Sorry for the incorrect the start date was jan 27. I'm doing all this off my cell phone. Need to update profile. Last time I did update I had add some new fish causing a low spike. Currently my tank has leveled back out and I have been keeping zeros on all except. The last which goes between 5 and 15 a week between water chaNges. I have been doing about 30 percent water changes every week since start. I think what stressed her was me moving her from the tank to the breeding tank which is really supposed to be a betta tank. But seems to small and cruel to be used for that so I thought it to be ok for just birthing

4. OP
    OP
    g

gavins1dadNew MemberMember

My baby guppies the 2 of the 3 that mama didn't get are doing great eating good and growing great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice