Malting Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Caitlin86, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

Hey everyone!! I have a question...when a ghost shrimp is malting r they more vulnerable to attack. Im asking bc i had 4 (now 3)...it seems one was malting and got attacked by my big 2. Can i please get some input...thanx everyone!

2. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Yes, they are definetly vulnerable. It may take a couple of days to "harden" up again. However, I don't think him molting is why he being attatcked solely. Depending on your fish, your ghost shrimp in general (molting or not) are possibly being targeted. Provide good hiding places for them, especially soemthing that your fish can't fit into which will allow them to re-harden and hide when need be

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

Thanx 4 responding!! Im actually not worried about my fish (male betta who is quite chill) it was the other 2 ghost shrimp who were targeting it which took me by surprise bc i have a tiny one in the tank that was joining in on the brawl.

4. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

That's quite interesting actually. There may be a chance that you have a molting female/s. When molting, females release a pheromone to attract mates. Therefore, I wonder if your males went over to see and started fighting each other for her attention? I don't know if this is possible or not, but I wouldn't doubt it in the world of reproduction :p

5. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

That could be 4 sure. Typical males Lol