Male vs Female

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, I have a school of 10 Serpia's. They're a riot to watch. Definitly playful, i have to see if i can get a video of them diving thru my bubble stream.
But I was wondering, some of them have a very distinct black stripe near their gills, some don't have it, or just a tiny black mark. Is this maybe a male vs female marking?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might want ot watch the angels, because I had 6 serpaes and they tore the fins of my angel like crazy so I had to get rid of them. But to your question, the females are a little more round in the belly than the males due to the eggs. It's not much help but that is all that is known from different sites.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
so far everyone is behaving... but my angels are my babies... anyone picks on them is a goner.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jim said:
so far everyone is behaving...
Mine were like that for the first week or so, then bam, the fins were nipped and the tetras were traded with a guy for 2 expencive plants and a piece of driftwood(IMO, I got the better end of the deal).
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They've been good so far. I read somewhere if they're in a shcool of 6 or more, they tend to behave... I have 10, and they all hang together nicely.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 6-8 and they still were mean. Just keep a very close eye on them. I don't want what happened to me to happen to you.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom