Male versus female betta fish?

gabray47

I just purchased a 10 gallon tank and am doing a fishless cycle right now. Eventually, I was hoping to get 1 betta fish (and possibly two bottom feeders). Obviously, a male betta fish should be in a tank with no other bettas, but what about the females? I think my tank is too small to start a true sorority, but can two live together comfortably? How well does a single female betta do on her own? Any advice about the differences would be helpful. I'm truly a newbie.

BigManAquatics

It is too small for a sorority and sororities are best done in odd numbers, so obviously 2 would be very avoidable.

Rose of Sharon

One female will do well by herself in the 10 gallon. Two in a 10 gallon will be a problem; they are just as aggressive as males.

You could look into getting a giant betta for your tank, if you want a bigger fish.

CindiL

Agreed. You'd need at least a heavily planted 20g (and long) is better to have 3 females. They need the ability to cut off line of sight from each other or they get very stressed. They usually will pick an area of the tank and stay there. One of them usually becomes the "alpha" and in that pecking order they usually do pretty well.
How about adding in some cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp? They are pretty funny tank mates and keep the betta entertained all day. I also had a nerite snail and my last betta would spend much of his day flaring at the little guy. It was pretty funny. You'd just want to make sure you have hiding places for the shrimp and java moss and other plants that they can hide in.

gabray47

One female will do well by herself in the 10 gallon. Two in a 10 gallon will be a problem; they are just as aggressive as males.

You could look into getting a giant betta for your tank, if you want a bigger fish.
Thanks so much. I have read so many things that it is nice to talk to a person about this! :)
Agreed. You'd need at least a heavily planted 20g (and long) is better to have 3 females. They need the ability to cut off line of sight from each other or they get very stressed. They usually will pick an area of the tank and stay there. One of them usually becomes the "alpha" and in that pecking order they usually do pretty well.
How about adding in some cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp? They are pretty funny tank mates and keep the betta entertained all day. I also had a nerite snail and my last betta would spend much of his day flaring at the little guy. It was pretty funny. You'd just want to make sure you have hiding places for the shrimp and java moss and other plants that they can hide in.
Thanks for the info. There is so much differing info out there, it is confusing. I think at this point I'll opt for 1 male and possibly get some corys as bottom feeders. I'm just starting out, so I'd like to keep it small for now. Thanks again!

Rose of Sharon

gabray47

Glad to help! There are lots of betta keepers on the forum with lots of betta experience, so if you have any questions, please post! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MrFishkeeper1
Replies
Views
marinebioangel
Replies
Views
Cue
Replies