Male Upside Down Catfish Have Balls?

1. a

alygator90 New Member Member

Is it possible for a male upside down catfish show it’s genitals? I have bought an upside down catfish at Walmart a year ago and as it has gotten older it’s balls started to appear. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

What did I just see...?

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Uhhhh.... I don’t think they have balls? It might be a tumor or something. Is it soft or liquidy?

4. OP
    OP
    a

It is soft from just a gentle poke. I dnt want to squeeze them in fear of injuring the poor guy. If it were to be a tumor then why is it shaped like balls?

Attached Files:

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

It is a tumor that is stretching his skin, since it is on his underside the tumor is tense over the middle where his skin is naturally less flexible. Catfish do not have balls, they have testes on the inside of their body (there are some species of catfish that have a gonopodium, but none have balls). This is a tumor you are seeing, since it is soft there isn't really anything you can do about it as it may still lead into the inside of his body and cause him more injury to remove it than to leave it.

6. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

I had this same type of catfish (sailfin catfish) and he didn't have "balls" I agree that it's a tumor.

7. OP
    OP
    a

Thank you so much for the information! I truly appreciate it.