Male salfin molly ready to breed? Question

1. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

Okay so, today I noticed my male salfin dalmation molly who is basicaly the alpha male of my 40 gal is flaring his fin up and chasing ALL the females. I'm guessin the big guy's ready to breed?...

Questions:

1) Obviously I want to know if his fin "flaring" is due to him reday to drop the goods.

2) Can balloon mollies and reagular mollis mate?

Thanks,
    -Mikey-

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I lol'd at "drop the goods." ;)

Anywho, yes, both types are capable of mating; though, the fry don't always come out right and if the female is the balloon, she may not necessarily survive pregnancy. Balloon mollies are actually from spawnings between regular mollies that have been mated to mollies with spinal deformities. :)()

Mollies are capable of breeding after just a few months old, I believe. That behavior definitely sounds like the breeding behavior of my sailfins. Make sure you have at least a couple females per male so he doesn't exhaust them to death.

3. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

i have like 8 females and 2 males

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

That's a great ratio! Love to see picks of your sailfin if you get a chance. :)

5. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

I have a few good ones on my phone but my ability to send them to my coute has been eliminated so....I'm going to try to steal my lil sis's $500 digital camera haha :;banaman

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Great information above. Looking forward to seeing your photos when you're able to post. Best wishes for a good healthy spawn!
    Ken