Male Ranchu Pecking Female's Vent to Injury

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

My god...it's out of control in my tanks. And no one has even reached spawning maturity, no eggs are present.

Anyway, the ranchu QT inhabitants are settling in and have immediately gotten down to business. Hershey has been chasing Chise, constantly pecking at her vent. I mean constantly. As in, all day. No bumping or shoving, just pecking the vent.

Chise's vent is now red and also possibly a little swollen. I'm assuming this has been caused by the pecking, I know it was not there yesterday nor was the chasing/pecking behavior. It all started today. She does not seem stressed and I observed a small bit of waste coming from her (immediately removed by Hershey) so it appears she can still poop for now.

However I feel a little weird about this behavior, thinking maybe there's a higher risk of complication, and I'm not sure if I should divide them? I'd like to leave them together because everyone is so bonded but not if it costs Chise her health so...opinions?

(EDIT: Jeez...when did I become a Fish Mentor? That's an intimidating title. I think a Fish Mentor would know the answer to this question haha. Can I be a Fish Keeper again? Yikes, I've been posting on here too much!)

2. LWormy Member Member

I think that you should continue to watch Hershey's behavior and if there are further aggressions, you should separate them. I have never heard of a goldfish pecking at another goldfish's anus (sounds a little weird, right?) , so maybe you got an infection or something. Either way, I would advise you to put a little salt (aquarium salt, not table salt) in the tank so if it was indeed infected, it would make the infection better. If she wasn't infected, however, it would still lower the chance of infection. If the goldfish is suddenly being aggressive you might want to see if he's ill. I know that sick goldfish will be more aggressive toward others and doing strange things. Another cause might be overstock. If your tank is really overstocked and they goldfish don't have their own space they will start to attack each other. Anyway, good luck, Fish Mentor!

P.S. How many posts do you need to have before you become Fish Keeper and Mentor?

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

LWormy, I have no clue how many posts are required but...a lot?

These fish are brand new, came right from a breeder. It's my understanding that pecking at the vent can be a part of spawning behavior, and it is the time of year where that occurs. I am seeing it in both of my goldfish tanks. The 20g is indeed overstocked but it is a temporary arrangement used to QT grow them out until they get bigger and can handle the depths of the 75g, per the breeder's instruction.

It certainly doesn't seem as if they want their own space haha. Being a 20 long there are places for them to go yet they choose to travel together. At the breeder they were raised in grow out tubs with 25+ goldfish.

I did apply some salt fully dissolved during a WC but a few hours later I noticed some gill clamping so I removed about 50% of it via a large WC and the behavior has resolved as far as I can see.

Her vent is still red but she is able to defecate and the pecking seems to have subsided for the moment.

I am already on high alert and crazy paranoid thinking they are sick with every disease, as is my nature haha, so I will continue to watch very closely for any additional signs of problems and react as needed.

Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Keeper = 500
    Mentor = 2000

I think. But no one really pays attention to that stuff.

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

PI, looks like Hershey is looking for a free meal from Chise, she may be eggy and this behavior will continue until she stops releasing eggs 1 - 2 days or so. She should heal up with just clean water in 2 - 3 days, If you notice redness around the gills, belly area, attribute it to breeding behavior, it looks kind of like septicemia, but don't panic, just bruising from male trying to get her to release eggs.

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Adam55 - Haha. Well that makes me feel...sad haha. Please tell me that's including replies (even still)!
    Rivieraneo - Thank you! Per my usual, I've already diagnosed these fish with, hmm, gill flukes, ich, and fungal tail rot. Yep. I'm still me in case you were wondering :p Still, I'm picking up a collander today just in case. At any rate, the behavior settled last night and hasn't started up yet today haha. The funny thing is they're between 7-8 months old, all of them. Could she really be releasing eggs at this age? I've got the others in the 29g dogging Motley too but it's less vent nipping and more bumping/pushing on her belly. And they're teeny tiny compared to these guys.