Male Rams Keep Dying

Barefoot

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, I’ve recently started keeping German blue rams. I bought a pair and they spawned twice-ate the eggs twice and the male dies. So I bought another pair, they wouldn’t spawn even after after I took the original female out.
Put the original female back in and her and the new male spawn. They eat the eggs and today he is dead. Still have two females. Any ideas?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you feeding. If they are breeding you should being giving them a high nutrient diet. I also like black worms to fatten them up for breeding.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How old is the tank water? The one thing I learned about keeping GBR is they need well established water. Are you doing large W/C?

Barefoot

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 9 months old, change 25-30% weekly. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, pH 7.6-7.8, Temp 79-80. Was at my LFS and someone suggested maybe the original female kills the males. She does nip at the other female.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd return or rehome the black widow female.

Barefoot

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol I might have too!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are there other fish in the tank? If so the male does a lot of work fending off intruders around the egg site. The stress may have killed him or he got hurt during a fight.

Barefoot

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a few cardinal tetras and removed the other female. I think if I try again I will remove both females and leave him to tend to the eggs alone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom