Male Rams Keep Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Barefoot, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Barefoot

Barefoot New Member Member

Hi all, I’ve recently started keeping German blue rams. I bought a pair and they spawned twice-ate the eggs twice and the male dies. So I bought another pair, they wouldn’t spawn even after after I took the original female out.
    Put the original female back in and her and the new male spawn. They eat the eggs and today he is dead. Still have two females. Any ideas?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

What are you feeding. If they are breeding you should being giving them a high nutrient diet. I also like black worms to fatten them up for breeding.

3. OP
    OP
    Barefoot

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

How old is the tank water? The one thing I learned about keeping GBR is they need well established water. Are you doing large W/C?

5. OP
    OP
    Barefoot

Tank is 9 months old, change 25-30% weekly. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, pH 7.6-7.8, Temp 79-80. Was at my LFS and someone suggested maybe the original female kills the males. She does nip at the other female.

6. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I'd return or rehome the black widow female.

7. OP
    OP
    Barefoot

Lol I might have too!

8. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Are there other fish in the tank? If so the male does a lot of work fending off intruders around the egg site. The stress may have killed him or he got hurt during a fight.

9. OP
    OP
    Barefoot

I have a few cardinal tetras and removed the other female. I think if I try again I will remove both females and leave him to tend to the eggs alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice