Male platy?

My Betta Moonstone

Hi,

I bought a platy from PetSmart, and the person there said it was a female. However, looking at it, I think it might be a male. I have attached a photo; is the platy a male or female? Thanks!

babyfish

Can you take another pic please? its hard for me to tell.

emeraldking

My Betta Moonstone said:
Hi,

I bought a platy from PetSmart, and the person there said it was a female. However, looking at it, I think it might be a male. I have attached a photo; is the platy a male or female? Thanks!
Firstly, this is not a platy but a swordtail. Secondly, it's a male that starts to develop a gonopodium. Yes, the analfin is clamped but it's too pointy already to be a female. And there's also no gravid spot to be seen. Non-pregnant and pregnant female xiphophorus species (where platies and swordtails belong to) will show a gravid spot.

babyfish

emeraldking said:
Firstly, this is not a platy but a swordtail. Secondly, it's a male that starts to develop a gonopodium. Yes, the analfin is clamped but it's too pointy already to be a female. And there's also no gravid spot to be seen. Non-pregnant and pregnant female xiphophorus species (where platies and swordtails belong to) will show a gravid spot.
Ok that makes more sense.

My Betta Moonstone

emeraldking said:
Thanks! So it's a male swordtail then? It's a little bigger than an inch but still doesn't have the "sword" shape at its tail. Is this normal? Also, none of the other fish in the tank had the "sword" shape either and all were labeled as platies. Sorry, I just want to make sure before I return him to the pet store. Thanks again.

emeraldking

My Betta Moonstone said:
Thanks! So it's a male swordtail then? It's a little bigger than an inch but still doesn't have the "sword" shape at its tail. Is this normal? Also, none of the other fish in the tank had the "sword" shape either and all were labeled as platies. Sorry, I just want to make sure before I return him to the pet store. Thanks again.
Well, not all males will develop a sword at the same pace. Usually, they start developing the gonopodium first before a sword will be developed. That's the normal way. And yes, young males do look like females when you look at the bodyshape.
But he's not a platy. So, if the lfs is still claiming that he's a platy, then they're absolutely wrong. It's a 100% sure a swordtail. There are a lot of stores that just don't have the right knowledge of strain determination.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom