Male Platy?

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by jminator22, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jminator22New MemberMember

Can anyone confirm that this is a male Platy? It is about 10-12 weeks old.

2. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Looks male to me.:)

3. jminator22New MemberMember

Do you know when they are considered sexually mature? I have 5 females and an trying to avoid having hundreds of babies. Probably going to give that one away to a friend in the next few days.

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It tends to take on average 3months. If you want to avoid having to many fry I'd suggest not saving any as they give birth to so many. If you have a male with the females then I'd look into fish stores that could possibly take any survivors or if you do decide to save them if you can't find anyone else to take them.

5. jminator22New MemberMember

One of the females we bought gave birth a week after we got her, and only the one fry survived. So we just waited to see what the sex was before deciding to get rid of it.

We just noticed one more really small platy fry, but this one is still only a week or two old. We bought one more female a while after the first ones, so I guess she was pregnant when we got her.

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Do have any males? If not it'll just be a waiting game till the fry stop(as long as you make sure none of the male juviniles mate with them). Just in case you didn't know already, they'll give birth to 50-100 fry every month for 6-12 months after their last contact with a male. Your male is beautiful by the way, I love that speckled look.:)

7. jminator22New MemberMember

That is the only male, for now. A couple weeks ago the rear fin wasn't pointy, I just noticed it today. I'll have to keep an eye on the really small one, ill probably keeo it if it is female. That one is all black with a little orange on the head.

8. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

That sounds like a good plan! If you keep an eye on it then you'll probably be able to catch any males before they fully develope and are able to breed. Your other fry sounds nice, I currently have a female like that as well.