Male Platy Vs. Female Platy Question

1. Daylight Member Member

I read somewhere online that when platies are in adulthood females should be bigger than male. Since my female is smaller than my male is it possible they are still young and have not mature.

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Sexing livebearers are easy, just make sure they are adolescent-adult age because juveniles usually all look female. Look for the anal fin (the single fin behind the butt) and look st the shape. (Btw...I know the pics aren't of platys, but sexing livebearers follow the same rules)

Males have a rod shape fun called a gonopodium
    IMG_2244.JPG

Females have it fan-shaped
    IMG_2245.JPG

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Daylight Member Member

Yea I know how to sex my platies I wanted to know if they are mature since they are smaller than my male and I read that when female platies reach adulthood they should be larger than the male

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

A female from the same bloodline and raised in the same conditions will almost always be larger than a male, or at least more "stocky". That does not mean all female platies are larger than all male platies at maturity.

5. Daylight Member Member

what do mean by bloodline like if they are related? and would it be a high chance that female are larger or a low chance

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Oop sorry! Like what @OnTheFly said, females won't always be bigger. If you be had them for at least 3-4 months (4 being the best), then they are mature.

I've seen similar sized and even smaller female platys. But they usually do get rounder...if that's what u we're thinking.

7. Daylight Member Member

ok thanks

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

All of my female platies are bigger than the males of the same age

9. Kysarkel000 Member Member

It's just like humans. I'm a 5'4" girl. My mom and I are the same height and my dad and brother are taller than both my mom and I. Most family's are like that. That being said, if I go out into the world, I will undoubtedly find a guy who is smaller than me, yet is still taller than his female family members ("same bloodline"). Idk if this helped lol but I'm trying!!

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

They could be related, but at least the same strain. Say red wag platy from a breeder in Florida. There is a good chance the males and females will grow to a consistent size, females being larger. Perhaps another strain from Thailand. These fish might be 30%+ smaller or larger.

Overall, the chance of the largest fish being females is high if you have similar platies from the same source.