Male Platy picking on 2 Female Platies

CoryMaster151

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank 65L (17.2 Gallons)
How long has the tank been running? 7 Months
Does it have a filter? Aqua One Clearview 280 Hang Filter
Does it have a heater? Aqua One 100W Heater
What is the water temperature? 26°C (78.8F)
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 Female Platys
1 Male Platy
4 Peppered Corydoras
2 Brittlenose Plecos
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 2 Weeks
How much of the water do you change? 50% of Water
What do you use to treat your water? No as i am on Rainwater with no Chlorine
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum 25-40% of the gravel every 2 weeks when doing water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did the in Fish Cycle
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
pH: 6.8-7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day except for Sunday (No Food Day)
How much do you feed your fish? 1 small pinch of tropical flakes for the Platys, 2 Algae Wafer for the plecos and corys
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqua One Dried Food
Do you feed frozen? No But i put Cucumber in the tank for the bottom feeders.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4-6 Months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 Days ago when i added more female platys
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Male Platy wont stop nipping the 2 Female platys
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I added Melafix as my LFS recommended it to stop disease from new fish
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? NO
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I recently had a female platy pass away and he was fine before she passed.

Explain your situation in detail?
Hello Everyone
I am new to fishlore and haven’t found a thread on this story. Since my Female Platy recently had babies, she was Fine for 2 weeks than she went downhill and passed away. I than left my male Platy for 2-3 days and he would not stop going up and down the glass all day. So then i got him 2 females friends and since i added them to the tank 3 days ago, he wont stop nipping on them. As soon as he sees them he chases them around the tank really fast. And than eventually the females will hide away in my cave rock and my plants and than he leaves them alone until he sees them agian and then it starts again. My LFS said run the dose of Adding new fish of melafix through the tank to stop any diseases and prevent stuff that the female Platys could carry into the tank. So i did a 25% water change yesterday and fed them a bit earlier than usual. 2 hours later i added 6ml of melafix and under-dosed it as Corys are apparently more sensitive to it. I noticed 1-2 hours later after i turn of the light the platys would have cut it out and would be sleeping in a corner of the tank. As soon as he sees light in the morning he will start it agian. i was told by my LFS to not seperate him as then it is hard to reintroduce them back into the tank. I have fed them right now and adding the last dose of melafix tonight in 30mins.

Video Link: IMG_2774

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Heap

devilson

is there any injuries on the females?

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

is there any injuries on the females?
Hi
Thanks for your quick response
From what i can see there are no visible injuries on both females. Thanks

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Hi
I think it should probably be ok? I have platies and there is one male who always chases a couple fish. Nothing has ever happened to them though. If you wanted to mitigate it you could try getting more females?

Upvote 0

devilson

Hi
then he is just trying to shower some love around then get more females like 2 or 3 if u can then when he chases one the others can take rest

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

In the size tank you have I would not add anything else. I actually believe you have too many considering you have 2 bristlenose pleco and they should be in a larger tank already and platys breed like rabbits. The male is just being a male trying to get the females to breed. Totally normal. Just make sure he isn't stressing them out too much. If he is add more plants to give them more hiding places.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Thanks everyone for all the responses

I am using Platics plants at the moment and i am thinking to add live plants to the tank to improve water quality and all the benefits that come with live plants. I dont really know anything about them. Is there anything that i need to know to use live plants. Any maintenance that you need to do? ect.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Hey Everyone.
I think the male Platy is getting a little better as he seems to have lost a little interest in them. But he will still nip them if they move too fast or comes too close. Thanks heaps for your support!

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Hey Everyone.
I think the male Platy is getting a little better as he seems to have lost a little interest in them. But he will still nip them if they move too fast or comes too close. Thanks heaps for your support!
Glad to hear that! Hope he stays more peaceful from now on!

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Showing the pecking order happens from time to time as well. But that moment will pass at a certain point.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Showing the pecking order happens from time to time as well. But that moment will pass at a certain point.
Thank you for that info. I notice it happens more somedays and less somedays. Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Christacharlene
  • Platy
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
  • DBob100
  • Platy
Replies
Views