Male platy mating dance?

platyswordtail5

Right now, I have 2 male platies ( mickey mouse, koi) and 4 females (variatus tudexo, green sword tail, blue coral and gold twinbar). I noticed the males and one female "bouncing " off this aquarium decoration. Just swimming into it and deflecting off. Also noticed the males flexing their gonopodium often.

jessakitten

bouncing on decorations is usually a sign of ich or other parasite in my experience. are there little white dots floating around or on the fish? they are scratching themselves in an effort to relieve the irritation of a parasite usually

platyswordtail5

bouncing on decorations is usually a sign of ich or other parasite in my experience. are there little white dots floating around or on the fish? they are scratching themselves in an effort to relieve the irritation of a parasite usually
I also noticed after that behavior, they would go after the females. There are no white dots on any of my fish. Everyone looks good

jessakitten

I keep and breed platys and this is not a normal mating behavior. its called flashing and its a sign of an irritant the fish is trying to "scratch"

Similar Aquarium Threads

• platyswordtail5
  • Platy
Replies
Views
platyswordtail5
  • Lightspeed6
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Michael.j.gomez
  • platyswordtail5