Male platy bullying female

gregoranddexter1816

I have 3 female platies and 1 male at the moment. For a few weeks I've noticed one female has been getting chased and bullied by the male. Ive watched carefully to make sure she wasn't losing any weight and making sure she ate. I noticed it started right after she gave birth. Im not sure what to do about this. The female he bullies is much smaller in size compared to the other females and he doesn't want to mate with her as she isn't pregnant again (they gives birth about once a month). I do have a breeders net but I'm currently raising a fry that ill be adding to the tank in 1 or 2 weeks because its still just too small.

Should I put the male in the net for a couple days and let the female bond together then introduce the male? Or just bring the male back to the store? I don't have another tank for it otherwise I would just put him there.

Note: I have 1 male dwarf gourami in the tank as well and they all get along fine. Occasional chasing by the gourami but not often.

Ghelfaire

Males platys are jerks. I had to remove any and all from my tank in order for the females to be safe.

Upvote 0

AlexW9102

I have mollies which look similar, but I found that this behavior is common in male fish in general who are trying to mate with the females. I don't think your male platy is trying to intentionally hurt the females, but chasing on instinct which is technically harassing her until she gives up and lets him mate with her. If you don't want babies, you can separate the males from the females if you want, or you can find a local fish shop that is willing to take in fries. I was told that some shops could give you in-store credit for giving them your fries. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Scardom
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Scardom
  • Question
  • adorbezfairy
  • Platy
Replies
Views