Male platy acting strange (acting disturbed)

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi.My readings are: ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-20ppm ph-6.5 - 7. Liquid test. Temperature-24.5 degrees. tTank -28ltrs.

So i've had a male platy for almost 2 months now.Had the aquarium for almost 6months.He was a little shy as platies are sometimes and after a few weeks of having him i would see him scratch on a plant every once in a while and would clamp his fin sometimes as well. He eats well and is very active. His colour is bright and looks healthy with no visible illness/disease. (female platies starting to scratch) and because he is in a community tank (3 platies, 3 guppies), i treated the whole tank with Sterizin (on 8th day now of treatment as per instruction) as well as fungus clear every other day. I use melafix and aquarium salt after regular water change. But today he was acting really disturbed. He would swim on the spot (tail wagging) and then dart off like something was eating him inside out.He looked very uncomfortable.I don't get it because he was great this morning swimming around, fins unclamped, exploring plus the treatment and now i'm seeing this behaviour. Is he still suffering from parasites? If so why am i wasting money on all these medication?Please help!

antec

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
it may be the cocktail of meds; I would slow down with that aggressive treatment. for future reference, if you suspect a disease, treat with one type of medication. after treatment has concluded and no signs of change, then you can start another med. this is unless there are recommendations on the med package itself to combine specific meds.

anyways, you say the fish doesn't have any visual signs or symptoms (on tissue). do you see any of the other fish doing the same with respect to fin clamping and lethargy?

if not, then I would take them off the med treatment, perform a large WC to clear residual meds, and try soaking their food in garlic juice. try this for a week or two.

if the other fish are acting the same, come back and we'll break it down and investigate this.

fishyluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes same as above ^ I would do a large wc to remove all the meds. I would not be using the salt at all as it can do more harm than good. It is irritating him. They dont need salt.
Fresh clean water on a regular basis is all fish need alot of times to heal and feel better.
I dont think i would add melafix with each water change. They need fresh clean water minus all the meds.
Just like us, we take alot of meds on top of other meds, something is going to happen but i can guarantee it will not be good!
When i first got my mollies, i had their water cooler but turned up the heat to 79-80 and they really seemed to do so much better.
Try to do regular weekly wc's of at least 50% and gravel vac also all the way down to the bottom glass.
Keep your filter rinsed in tank water pulled out of your tank into a clean bucket just for your fish. Swish your filter media around a bit to release the nasties. I rinse my filters monthly.
If you have plants in your house or yard, the water from your aquarium or filter rinsing does wonders for plants!
I sure hope your fish feel better soon! Good Luck to you!

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys. I moved all the fish to a bigger, cycled clean tank with no meds. I could already see a change in their behaviour. Platy is actually puffing his chest out, darting around the place waiting for me to feed him. No weird behaviour atm. So far so good so thanks for your help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom