Male or Female?

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now I know this has probably been asked here a few dozen times, but can you experts help me find out if I have a male and female pair or not?
When I bought these two convicts the guy at the store said he was "pretty sure" one was a female and one was a male.
When I got them in the tank (20gal) the one that was supposed to be the "female" proceded to chase and attack the "male" one and after about two days I had to seperate them so the poor "guy" could grow his tail back.
"He's" doing much better now and I'm afraid to re-intergrate them for fear of him being nibbled to death. I'm not sure if I just got the meanest female fish on the planet orrrrrr if I got two males or females by "mistake".

This is the one they said was the Female
195.jpg

This is the one they said was the Male
196.jpg

Any clues?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

The top picture is a female and the bottom picture is a male.

Females have the orange on their belly and the males don't.

Beautiful cons! Love the coloring on the female!

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome.
She does indeed have nice coloring and He's a good looking fish as well, his stripes are well defined; espescially when he's in the light.
I bought a screen divider for the tank so he could be in there with good filtration and all. It is my hope that while he recovers and his tail grows back all the way she'll get used to him being in the same tank and eventually come to accept him and stop biting him and maybe even have some little ones.
Do you think this will happen or do they sometime just not pair up?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a female convict is does not play well with others. She tried to kill one male I put in with her and the other male I put in with her tried to kill her.

I would take out both fish, re-aquascape the tank, put him in first, and then add her. They don't always pair up, but usually they do. Cichlids are a little nuts and can have big attitudes.

Good luck and please keep us posted

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Convicts will pair up 99% of the time! And The convict on top is a female and the one on the bottom is a male. Your female looks quite similar to my female convict

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks BB and FMF. I'll try the advice about removing them and rearranging the tank. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I didn't think about putting him in first. I'll let you know how it goes.
He's not quite got his tail back 100% so I'll probably do it in about a week. I'll keep you posted when I do it.

Thanks again

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK. I pulled her out and re-arranged the tank.
He has grown most of his tail back and has even gone through a little growth spurt in the last two weeks. He's almost the same size as her now, she's still slightly bigger than him. I have kept her out in a different tank to give him time to make the tank "his".

How long do you think I should give him before putting her back in?

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, it seems to have worked !!
I put her back in with him on Friday afternoon and they went after each other for awhile back and forth, however, I noticed that he was holding his own and that sometimes he was chasing her; before it was just her picking on him and him running. Now they seem to have come to an understanding.
She has taken over the rock cave, but that was expected. He has the run of the tank and she has already moved a ton of rocks in front of the cave entrance to make it "safe".
It's been 3 days and both still have all their fins intact and are healthy.
She's inside and he's roaming around the tank, but at least they're not killing each other.
Now, let's keep fingers crossed that they pair up and have little ones.

Thanks for the advice BB
x

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, it seems to have worked !!
I put her back in with him on Friday afternoon and they went after each other for awhile back and forth, however, I noticed that he was holding his own and that sometimes he was chasing her; before it was just her picking on him and him running. Now they seem to have come to an understanding.
She has taken over the rock cave, but that was expected. He has the run of the tank and she has already moved a ton of rocks in front of the cave entrance to make it "safe".
It's been 3 days and both still have all their fins intact and are healthy.
She's inside and he's roaming around the tank, but at least they're not killing each other.
Now, let's keep fingers crossed that they pair up and have little ones.

Thanks for the advice BB
x
In a matter of weeks, they'll begin to spawn and your biggest problem is to find a way to get rid of the babies!

Have fun!

TankNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmmmmm. Well, she allowed him to move into the cave with her for about 2 weeks and then last night she kicked him out. Could this mean that they mated and she's fixing to lay eggs or could it be that they just had a lover's spat and she put him on the couch for a few days. If it's the egg thing, how long till she starts laying them?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom