Male or Female?

Saftron

Hi do you think the “male” in these pictures is a male or female? In the 1st pic he is next to a female. Let me know if you need better pics, it’s hard to take a pic because he is scared of phones.
The fish in question has tan/light orange dots on their belly but it’s minimal compared to the female with drastic orange stripes.
His 3 back fins are a tad bit yellow and he has some blue on his dorsal fins. He also has a green spec going around his eye on the left side.

chromedome52

Looks like two females to me, sorry. They can be quite variable, but the big spots in the dorsal and the color on the belly suggest female. Below is a wild caught female Amatitlania siquia for comparison, which is one of the more common Convict species out there.

DSC_0386.JPG

Saftron

You can see his light orange/tan dots better in these 3 pics

Saftron

Could I get more opinions? Just wanna be sure you know? Got a good pic to add

chromedome52

Well, another opinion is that no amount of wishing is going to turn that female into a male. :rolleyes: My guess is she was still very small when you got her and developed more markings after getting some good food for a while.

Just to try to help make it clear for you, this is a male. He is guarding fry with the female from my previous post.

DSC_0048.JPG

Saftron

Can Honduran Red Points still mate with convicts? Is there any big differences in care between the two? I got it from Petco and it was sold as a Convict so I’ve been treating it like it was.

Saftron

One more question, are these species aggressive? The Amititlania Siquia is very aggressive towards the bright orange convict and constantly chases her but she ignores the dither tetras for some reason. Could it just be her personality or is the species just like that?

chromedome52

Yes, they can be quite aggressive. They are going to be especially aggressive toward conspecifics.

Your fish is not HRP, they have a different color pattern. HRP is not thought to be siquia, it is probably an undescribed species. They are all Convicts, they just come from different regions of Central America. Hobby Convicts were a mixture of nigrofasciata and siquia for decades, but a big influx of two populations from Costa Rica has made the prolific siquia very common. True nigrofasciata are hard to come by.

However, they can and will hybridize quite readily. HRP/"Convict" hybrids are all over the place.

Saftron

Thank you! I believe you were right on the dot about it being a female, what was once minimal light orange/beige dots are now many and the orange is becoming more vibrant every day.

Saftron

No doubt she’s a female now. Here’s some pics of her with a male who I think she’s paired up with.
59E8F882-308A-45A3-840B-47C4FC56C47B.jpeg

3220E03F-B4D0-4180-A320-5724316125FA.jpeg

ABAD1A3A-A04D-4322-8BE1-5301FD259BBC.jpeg

4D1A60BD-5702-464A-BD33-4495ADC16214.jpeg

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom