Male Or Female

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by donboi420, Jun 14, 2018.

1. donboi420New MemberMember

Hi All, Having trouble determining the sex of this GBR. The guy at the LFS said was a male however im not 100% sure. Have done a lot of reading into sexing and still cant work it out cheers IMG_0854.jpgIMG_0851.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-14 at 5.40.45 PM.png

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

3. OP
    OP
    d

donboi420New MemberMember

Thanks!! what made you say that? (not questioning you just want to learn!!)

4. coralbandit

coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Female 99%
    Blue spangles in black spot ,short anal fin and red belly.....

5. OP
    OP
    d

hmmm no wonder i couldnt tell, any other inputs??

6. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Mine is a known male for comparison. 0531180910g.jpg
    @bizaliz3 is breeding them. Mabee she can confirm male or female for you.

7. OP
    OP
    d

stunner of a fish ya got there!

8. Dave125g

Thanks. I think you have a female, but I don't see much red in the belly, so I'm not sure.

9. OP
    OP
    d

hahaha maybe its transgender who knows

10. Dave125g

The little blue speckles in the black indicates female, as stated above. Also as stated above the red belly, which I can't see indicates female. The red belly develops early in a GBRs development. It's how you tell it's a female when it is a juvenile, before it gets it's adult colors. Capture%2B_2018-06-14-07-42-55.jpg

11. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I think I see a red belly. It’s vague, like a soft glow.

12. Dave125g

Lol mabee you should name it Bruce or Katlyn, when you find out if it is male or female. Lol

13. OP
    OP
    d

so consensus is female? Would be interested to hear @KinsKicks opinion. Uploaded on a reddit site and had a similar mixed outcome but mainly a male preference

14. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Female

15. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I say female as well.

16. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The spangles in the black spot is not a sex characteristic. As evidence, here is a known male I bred back in the late 70s:
    Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.jpg
    Please stop quoting something that existed on one person's single line of Rams as a characteristic of all Rams. It got spread around on the Internet like a virus, and is impossible to eradicate, but I will continue to fight it.

OPs fish has characteristics that are confusing, at best. I have seen males with pink on the belly, but it is not common. The pinkish belly is sunken in, so if it is a female she either needs serious fattening, or has shriveled up inside to the point where she will never be able to spawn. The dorsal spike is very high, but it is only the one spine. Males would normally have at least two very elongated spines. Best you can do is try to fatten it up and see if the red color intensifies.

Personally, I would not have purchased a fish that I couldn't positively sex myself, but I have the experience to do so and many do not. There are a lot of specimens out there that actually are "in between" the sexes. I believe this is due to too many drugs being used in raising them. Females take on male characteristics, and vice versa. Such drugged up fish will probably never make good breeders, either.

17. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

For me, last spine in dorsal fin is pointed and the first spine is pretty long as well. But honestly, with how much they’re bred nowadays, classic sexing techniques aren’t even reliable anymore. Sometimes you get females looking like males and vice versa based on breeding or even their environment (stress, dominant vs non-dominant, presence of opposite sex, etc).

Of course, easiest way to tell is to see those breeding tubes!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Dave125g

Thanks for that but of education @chromedome52. What hasn't been discussed yet is the vent(breeder tube). Is there any difference in the vents? I know with angel fish and Bolivian rams that's the best way to ID sex.

19. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Breeding tubes are always the way to be 100% sure of sex. Problem is, sometimes they don't show until a day or so before spawning, and if the fish isn't spawning, they aren't showing. A lot of times I can figure out my fish by observing their behavior, but that also requires others of their kind to interact with or compare.

20. OP
    OP
    d

wow lots too learn. thanks for all the input. guess ill just have to wait it out and see or accept the genetic variation

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice