Male Or Female?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
First off, I know this question gets asked literally all the time, so I'm sorry. I got this lil fellow about two weeks ago, she/he is currently in a 5.5 gallon, bare bottom (I'll fix that), fish in cycle (ammonia hasn't even registered at .25), and three days ago, I thought I saw an eggspot. So, I thought, so strange I hadn't noticed before, and I honestly thought she/he was too brightly colored to be a female. The next two days I checked and didn't see the eggspot, but today I did, and she/he looks a little swollen in the belly area. I tried to get some good pics, but this fish just does not like to stay still, lol.
Edit: I've heard of males having a "false eggspot", and I'm just wondering if this happens to be what's going on.
Also, does anyone have a good age estimate? I know it's difficult to determine, but hey, may as well ask.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay thank you! What about the "eggspot" in the second pic? Is it just a false one?
Edit: I'm new to bettas, but I did think the fins were too long, and I was pretty sure I saw the beard, but then I thought I saw the eggspot

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry, do you mind taking another look? I mean, I know this fish looks very male in terms of coloration, finnage, ect, but there is seriously this white bump right before the analfins that looks like an ovipositor to me. I thought the false ones looked like spots, not little tubes/bumps (I could be very wrong on this). Should I be concerned about a prolapse? I know the picture quality sucks, this fish just will not be still. Also, does anything look amiss with him? I'm just new to bettas, sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Could it be a prolapse? If so, how should I treat?

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Female bettas can be just as colourful as males, and that is a very normal fin shape for a female. If you saw an egg spot, there's no question.

Sorry, I don't know what to do about the swelling though.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
iDon'tCare said:
Female bettas can be just as colourful as males, and that is a very normal fin shape for a female. If you saw an egg spot, there's no question.

Sorry, I don't know what to do about the swelling though.
Thanks! Although I think the short fins are because the betta is a plakat.... Can you see what I believe to be the eggspot in the pictures? Also is there a good way to identify if it's a false eggspot? I've just been reading a lot of conflicting info on that...

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Thanks! Although I think the short fins are because the betta is a plakat.... Can you see what I believe to be the eggspot in the pictures? Also is there a good way to identify if it's a false eggspot? I've just been reading a lot of conflicting info on that...
Goodness! My fault! It's actually a male, I didn't look close enough female betta fish have thicker Ventral fins, he doe not. The swelling looks like bloat. Cut back on food for a couple of days, my male betta's having that problem right now and it's starting to go down.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Haha, that's fine thanks! Glad I got a definitive answer. I'll just go with false eggspot and hope it not a prolapse. Should I feed part of a blanched pea after fasting a few days? I don't have access to daphnia

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Haha, that's fine thanks! Glad I got a definitive answer. I'll just go with false eggspot and hope it not a prolapse. Should I feed part of a blanched pea after fasting a few days? I don't have access to daphnia
I think that's fine, I normally smush up a pea and give it to my buddy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom