Male Or Female?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
First off, I know this question gets asked literally all the time, so I'm sorry. I got this lil fellow about two weeks ago, she/he is currently in a 5.5 gallon, bare bottom (I'll fix that), fish in cycle (ammonia hasn't even registered at .25), and three days ago, I thought I saw an eggspot. So, I thought, so strange I hadn't noticed before, and I honestly thought she/he was too brightly colored to be a female. The next two days I checked and didn't see the eggspot, but today I did, and she/he looks a little swollen in the belly area. I tried to get some good pics, but this fish just does not like to stay still, lol.
Edit: I've heard of males having a "false eggspot", and I'm just wondering if this happens to be what's going on.
Also, does anyone have a good age estimate? I know it's difficult to determine, but hey, may as well ask.
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Okay thank you! What about the "eggspot" in the second pic? Is it just a false one?
Edit: I'm new to bettas, but I did think the fins were too long, and I was pretty sure I saw the beard, but then I thought I saw the eggspot
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Sorry, do you mind taking another look? I mean, I know this fish looks very male in terms of coloration, finnage, ect, but there is seriously this white bump right before the analfins that looks like an ovipositor to me. I thought the false ones looked like spots, not little tubes/bumps (I could be very wrong on this). Should I be concerned about a prolapse? I know the picture quality sucks, this fish just will not be still. Also, does anything look amiss with him? I'm just new to bettas, sorry for all the questions.
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Could it be a prolapse? If so, how should I treat?
 

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
21
Points
43
Experience
5 to 10 years
Female bettas can be just as colourful as males, and that is a very normal fin shape for a female. If you saw an egg spot, there's no question.

Sorry, I don't know what to do about the swelling though.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
iDon'tCare said:
Female bettas can be just as colourful as males, and that is a very normal fin shape for a female. If you saw an egg spot, there's no question.

Sorry, I don't know what to do about the swelling though.
Thanks! Although I think the short fins are because the betta is a plakat.... Can you see what I believe to be the eggspot in the pictures? Also is there a good way to identify if it's a false eggspot? I've just been reading a lot of conflicting info on that...
 

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
21
Points
43
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Thanks! Although I think the short fins are because the betta is a plakat.... Can you see what I believe to be the eggspot in the pictures? Also is there a good way to identify if it's a false eggspot? I've just been reading a lot of conflicting info on that...
Goodness! My fault! It's actually a male, I didn't look close enough female betta fish have thicker Ventral fins, he doe not. The swelling looks like bloat. Cut back on food for a couple of days, my male betta's having that problem right now and it's starting to go down.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Haha, that's fine thanks! Glad I got a definitive answer. I'll just go with false eggspot and hope it not a prolapse. Should I feed part of a blanched pea after fasting a few days? I don't have access to daphnia
 

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
21
Points
43
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Haha, that's fine thanks! Glad I got a definitive answer. I'll just go with false eggspot and hope it not a prolapse. Should I feed part of a blanched pea after fasting a few days? I don't have access to daphnia
I think that's fine, I normally smush up a pea and give it to my buddy.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom