Male Or Female?

Scott Lehmann

Is this a male convict?

Bry

Looks female to me. Usually the males have a thinner dorsal that ends in a point. Females are usually rounder.

Scott Lehmann

Even without the orange belly?

Bry

My mom and I had several convicts who didn't have orange bellies. We bred them and I think one out of the five females had the orange belly.

Scott Lehmann

Oh wow thanks I had a feeling it was trying to do an all male tank could you help me sex the other 2 I'll put up sone photos later

Bry

Sure. I'll try lol

I would recommend against an all male tank as they will fight.

Scott Lehmann

I do know they can be quite aggressive but that is why I am only doing 3 a 75 gallon. Really don' want to get into breeding have no idea what I would do with all the fry. Can you scoop the eggs out before they hatch?

Rtessy

You'll have to fight the parents for them lol. But I kept some for a few weeks, and some of the females had orange bellies and some didn't, and a few of them lost their color for a week or two then got it back, so that was weird.

Bry

Honestly we had other convicts that ate the babies. I think only about five ever made it to adulthood. We also had a catfish that would eat fry. (My mom wasn't trying to breed but didn't know how to sex them until after they'd already bred lol)

Rtessy

Yeah, pretty much anything else you'd keep them with would eat the babies at some point or other, even with the parents defending them. Some people take them out and feed them to other fish, like gobys
Edit: what's the plural of goby lol

Scott Lehmann

This one? Male or female my guess it is a male it keeps following the female. Have one more to take but it' still hiding

Scott Lehmann

And what could I put in there to eat the fry that will still get along with the convicts?

Bry

Looks like a male to me. My mom had an Ocellated catfish in with them

Scott Lehmann

I just need you to guess 2 more I retured the female and got what I think is a male he' much smaller

Scott Lehmann

You would not belive how hard it is to get a picture of these fish male or female?

Scott Lehmann

This is the replacement for the female

Bry

Scott Lehmann said:
You would not belive how hard it is to get a picture of these fish male or female?
That's a male.
The second one, the one that's a replacement, I can't tell. I have to look at the dorsal fin shape. lol Yea it's pretty hard to get good picture of a creature that loves to swim around.

Scott Lehmann

Here is a better one last one

Bry

I think that's a female, but that one is a little hard to tell for sure.

Scott Lehmann

Really you think I assumed it was a male based on the way his bodies growing

Scott Lehmann

Actually I think your right I noticed orange sort of gold streeks on her sides if you look close enough too in the photo right in the middle of her body you can see the color variation

ButchCassidy111

First one looks like a male to me

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom