Male Or Female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neverstop1111, Apr 15, 2018.

1. N

Neverstop1111 Valued Member Member

So if been coloring up my cichlids and out of no where one of my palest fish turned on me (pic 1) Spike (Pic 2) use to be the alpha just got a bit lighter. I'm hoping one is female cuz I only wanted 1. Hopefully there's one peacock male and 3 female lol 20180415_145103.jpg 1523818432954228141971337433398.jpg

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

I am unclear what you want to know but very cool

3. OP
    OP
    N

Neverstop1111 Valued Member Member

Sorry I was looking to find out how to tell if one is male or female or if both are male

4. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Are both pictures of the same fish ? Or is one male and one female

5. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

First one looks like a male, but I'd need the second fish to have all its fin erect like the first fish.

Slightly pointed dorsal and anal fins in young peacocks suggest male. Blue on the gill plates also suggest male, you can see this a bit more easily if shining a flashlight on the fish, just be aware that some females will have a bit of blue too.

It would be easiest to net all the fish and look at their vents. 2 holes the same size is a male, one hole larger than the other is female.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice