Male Or Female

1. Tanya Farrell Member Member

I have to red tail shark in my tank they get on really well just wanted to know what sex they are thank you

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Could you get a better pic of the dorsal fin? Or you can check for yourself, but females tend to have a rounded/curves dorsal fin (whereas males have it more pointed). They also tend to be a bit more grey/duller on their stomachs and more rounded as well.

3. Tanya Farrell Member Member

4. Tanya Farrell Member Member

5. Tanya Farrell Member Member

Thank you the pic are below

Attached Files:

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

I want to say a male. He's got a bit of roundness / curve to the stomach to him and his dorsal is pretty pointed, and should have an anal fin pointed to match. Congratulations! :)

7. Tanya Farrell Member Member

2 males or male and female ?

8. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish are Rainbow or Red Fin Sharks (Epalzeorhynchos frenatus), not Red Tails (E. bicolor). An unusual color form, as yours have black anal and ventrals in the last photo, which are usually red. However, the red Dorsal fin is an absolute identifier. They don't start getting really aggressive until they start to mature sexually, which is usually around 4 inches. I am not aware of finnage ever being used to sex them, only references I can find indicate girth of heavy females as sexual characteristics. Breeding them normally involves the injection of hormones to trigger spawning.