Male or female

1. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Wife and I cant figure it out. [​IMG]

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

If your talking about the orange one, then I'd say male. But the photo makes it a little difficult. I'd fast for a day and feed them a pea, because it looks slightly bloated for a male.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

If your talking about the one in the middle (orange) then I would say male, but a better picture would help too

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a more in focus pic of the anal fin? Looks male, but a clearer pic would allow us to confirm.

If the anal fin is rounded, it's a female; if it's pointed, it's a male.

5. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

All three are males.... most likely.

like texasdomer said though, if the anal fin is fanned out (triangular) it's a female, if it's pointy and shriveled up it's a male...
    more pictures of the anal fin would help.

6. OP
    OP
    musserump09

Im trying my best to upload a picture but he or she wont stay still. Other males I know for sure. They chase this one around all the time. I have feed him or her peas and notice the decreased stomach. Their is a dark spot but now its hard to see since there is a fin hanging out like the other males have.

7. OP
    OP
    musserump09

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    musserump09

[video=youtube;O4FcwgbExMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FcwgbExMo[/video]

9. OP
    OP
    musserump09

[video=youtube;SS-lqwO48jQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-lqwO48jQ[/video]

10. Tanaya35

Tanaya35 New Member Member

Are those guppies? If they are, that orange one is a female and it looks like she is having babies. They have live births

11. Tanaya35

Tanaya35 New Member Member

Take a good look around the bottom of your tank and look for teeny tiny baby fish. They like to drop to the bottom while their yolk sac is still full then they will swim and hide somewhere

12. OP
    OP
    musserump09

my wife thinks its a she. I think its a male. we bought 5 from Walmart and it says assorted guppies. lost one to swim bladder. I'm going to feed peas. but this guppy has me wondering considering the behavior. which I have read can be aggressive if not in big enough groups.

13. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks like a male still. Here's the problem. You said the orange one has a gravid spot right? Only females have that. I am thinking because since guppies can also be male and female I think that's what you have. It's a he and a she. They do this in the wild if their isn't enough males around.

14. OP
    OP
    musserump09

I just noticed waste coming out. Below the fin. Its gotta be a man...

15. TexasDomer

Guppies aren't hermaphroditic unless it's a mutation.

From the video it's hard to tell, but I still think it's a male - anal fin looks pointed. False gravid spots are seen in males of other livebearing species - maybe that's what this one has, or you're mistaking something else for a gravid spot.

16. Z

Zed New Member Member

looks like a male guppy the blue one too

17. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

It's definitely a male....

18. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea true. It is very hard to see if their are any gravid spots. I still think it's a male though.

19. OP
    OP
    musserump09

Thanks guys for helping. His anal fin was not present but after a month it looks like he is growing. Stomach has gone down.

This might be a silly question. Males that look kinda like females do they confuse the other guppies into thinking he was a she?

20. TexasDomer

They should always have anal fins. Juvie males and juvie/adult females have rounded anal fins. Mature males have a pointed one.

Guppies know the sexes of each other, even if they're too young for us to tell.