Male or Female?

1. shaymac Initiate Member

Hello,

I have never kept this breed before...Yellow Lab, I think?.. Is it a male? From what I'm reading, it's hard to tell.

Sorry for the pics, blinds were open and my phones flash was on. Hard to keep the bugger still for a photo.

rps20120408_124042gen2.jpg

rps20120408_123908gen1.jpg

Thanks for your time, and help.

2. Salazar Member Member

eee.jpg i think yours is a male, and if you can check to see if it has a blue tint above its jaw, and a small hump on its forehead. if it has these, it is a male. it is very hard to tell, and if you can look at its underside and compare to a female, the males have a smaller vent. yours could be female if it has none of those tings. the best way is to compare with a female. hope the picture helps!

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

That's not a yellow lab, sorry. It's a Red Zebra (Metriaclima estherae). And it is a male. You can tell by the egg spots on the anal fin ;).

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Red Zebra

:;sh Good Call! It is definately a Red Zebra. I have 4 or 5 Red Zebras, but they have never spawned. From what I have read, Red Zebra males have 4 or more egg spots on the dorsal fin and that leaves the females with 3 or less.

5. shaymac Initiate Member

Thanks for the fast reply guys!

When I was reading up on care, all the pictures seemed off to me. This explains a lot...LOL! Now I'll go and research the correct fish.

Thanks again everyone.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;hf By the way, welcome to Fishlore.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Wendy, your red zebra females had egg spots? None of mine did.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard of them having egg spots...

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    Ive never been able to sex them with the egg spots...Both female and male have had the same amount and different amounts. Venting was my only sure way and I hated doing that LOL

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Mine must have been really weird then! Because out of all my African cichlids all my females have not had any egg spots.

11. shaymac Initiate Member

For sure hard, if not impossible to tell. Some would say; three spots or less is female. Mine has three, and many above. Just confusing!